Translation of appear in Spanish:
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 1.1 (come into view, present oneself) aparecer* he never appears until the meal is on the table nunca aparece or se presenta hasta que la comida está servida he hasn't appeared in public for the last year desde hace un año no aparece en público he suddenly appeared from behind the door de pronto salió de detrás de la puertaExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 [ghost/spirit] aparecerse* to appear
- The supervisors or any other voter would never notice this fraud since no visible sign would appear.
- From time to time as a gap in the trees appears I catch sight of this glistening stretch of cobalt blue water below.
- Around one corner, a hundred goats suddenly appeared, in no apparent hurry to let us by.
- They wait over 21 years for one to arrive and two appear in the same season.
- A few minutes after Steph and Lewis arrived, Josh appeared at the downstairs door.
- He appears on the scene of action ready for battle on the appointed day, and there he meets others like himself, brought up by the same summons.
tosb aparecérsele* aalgn the Virgin had appeared to them se les había aparecido la Virgen 1.3 (become apparent) aparecer*, salir* cracks started to appear on the walls empezaron a aparecer or a salir grietas en las paredes 1.4 (be found, seen) aparecer*
- 2 (seem) parecer* the questions didn't appear difficult las preguntas no parecían difíciles that's how he appears to a lot of people esa es la impresión que le da a mucha gente it appears as though o as if we're expected parece que nos esperan we're expected to win, it appears según parece, se espera que ganemos they've arrived — so it appears o so it would appear han llegado — eso parece so she's not leaving — it appears not o it would appear not así que no se va — parecería que no to appear to +
infinitive/infinitivoparecer* + infinitive/infinitivoshe appeared to be busy parecía (estar) ocupada he appeared to have understood pareció haber entendido, dio la impresión de que había entendido everyone appears to be here parece que ya está aquí todo el mundo we appear to be lost parece que nos hemos perdido this would appear to be what happened parecería que esto fue lo que pasó there appears to be some misunderstanding parecería que hay un malentendido what appears to be the trouble? ¿cuál es el problema?it appears thatit appears that she was the only one not to know parece ser que era la única que no lo sabía it appears from the report that … del informe se desprende que … it now appears that he was lying ahora resulta que estaba mintiendo it appears to me that we're wasting our time tengo la impresión de que or me parece que estamos perdiendo el tiempo that's how it appeared to her eso fue lo que le pareció a ella, esa fue la impresión que le dio a ellaExample sentences
- My own impression is that it appears as from another planet and does nothing to put the heart or soul back in the centre of Bradford.
- It appears unlikely at this stage and it is difficult to imagine him wanting to inhabit the rather obsessive world that managers must live in.
- It appears unlikely that the referees will have enough support to force the meeting which will mean a continuation of the dispute.
- 3 (be published) aparecer*, salir* to appear in print publicarse*Example sentences
- This is the case with variables 2 and 4, whose scatter diagram appears in Figure 11.9.
- Likewise, the cross that appears in a figure's hand is out of his own hand.
- In fact, this particular phrase appears in other parts of both documents.
- 4 (on television) aparecer*, salir*; [Theater/Teatro] actuar* he has appeared on television many times ha salido muchas veces en or por televisión, ha aparecido muchas veces en televisión she's currently appearing on Broadway actualmente está actuando en Broadway she appeared as Cinderella hizo el papel de CenicientaExample sentences
- She added that she would be consulting a solicitor about possible legal action if it were found that she had appeared on film.
- Other members of the public appear throughout the film, in walkthrough roles in pubs, buses and streets.
- They appeared on a microbudget Granada show, filmed in their own homes.
- 5 [Law/Derecho] 5.1 [defendant] comparecer* to appear before a magistrate comparecer* ante un juez she's appearing on a charge of murder comparece acusada de asesinato 5.2 [lawyer] comparecer* to appear for the prosecution/defense comparecer* por la acusación/la defensaExample sentences
- I appeared in Worthing Magistrates court when Jack was given unconditional bail and told these facts to the court and the magistrate.
- He'd never appeared in the Supreme Court and he came into this case very, very late.
- Although the matter has been called today, she has not appeared in the Court.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.