Translation of area in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (geographical) in the New York areaen la zona or el área de Nueva York1.2 (urban) the area around the docksla zona del puertothe area we live inel barrio en el que vivimosthere have been several burglaries in the area
la zona donde vivimosha habido varios robos en la zona or la vecindadthe houses in the immediate area of the factorylas casas situadas en las inmediaciones or los alrededores de la fábrica
- 2 (part of room, building, plot) play areazona (feminine) de recreothe library is a no-smoking areaen la biblioteca no se puede fumarExample sentences
- Outside, the front garden features a large lawn, a tiled patio area and space to park a fleet of cars.
- It would also include a new corridor, an extended reception area and improved office space.
- The interconnecting breakfast area has plenty of space for a family-sized table.
- 3 (expanse, patch) the shaded area represents …el área sombreada representa …areas of cloud across the South-Westnubosidad sobre el sudoestethere are few open areas left in the cityquedan pocos espacios abiertos en la ciudadapply the ointment to the affected areasaplicar el ungüento a las partes afectadasthe wreckage of the plane was scattered over a wide arealos restos del avión siniestrado quedaron esparcidos sobre una extensa zona
- 4 (Mathematics)(of room, land)12 square meters in area
superficie (feminine)12 metros cuadrados de superficieExample sentences
- The green is four feet square in area, and cut on the side of a 75-degree slope.
- By the time the job was done, the bedroom had decreased in area by four square metres.
- The two areas had a varied degree of protection against poaching despite being of a similar size in area.
- 5 (field, sphere) area of competenceárea or terreno de competenciait's an area of difficulty/controversyes un terreno difícil/polémicoan area of concernun tema que preocupato identify problem areasidentificar problemasExample sentences
- Macquarie held the view that rural areas should have towns constructed as service centres and places of government.
- Up to 100,000 people move from towns into rural areas a year, said the minister.
- Thirty-seven percent of those travelers were heading to small towns or rural areas.
- General repairs and maintenance - outside these three key areas - are not subject to the new laws.
- They share this preoccupation with other disciplines and interdisciplinary subject areas in the humanities.
- States are rational or instrumental actors, always seeking to maximize their interests in all issue areas.
- 6 (Sport)also: penalty areaárea (feminine (with masculine article in the singular)) (de castigo)Example sentences
- Ronaldo rushes into the area and draws a decent save from Mirzapour with his left foot.
- Milton teased him with a clever low free-kick from outside the area that swished past the wall and out of reach at the near post.
- Riggott tripped Alan Mahon on the left side of the area and Dunn sent Oakes the wrong way from the penalty spot.
- 7 (in front of basement)(American English)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.