Translation of area in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (geographical) zona (feminine), área (feminine (with masculine article in the singular)), región (feminine) in the New York area en la zona or el área de Nueva York 1.2 (urban) zona (feminine) the area around the docks la zona del puerto the area we live in el barrio en el que vivimos, la zona donde vivimos there have been several burglaries in the area ha habido varios robos en la zona or la vecindad the houses in the immediate area of the factory las casas situadas en las inmediaciones or los alrededores de la fábrica
- 2 (part of room, building, plot) zona (feminine) play area zona (feminine) de recreo the library is a no-smoking area en la biblioteca no se puede fumarExample sentences
- Outside, the front garden features a large lawn, a tiled patio area and space to park a fleet of cars.
- It would also include a new corridor, an extended reception area and improved office space.
- The interconnecting breakfast area has plenty of space for a family-sized table.
- 3 (expanse, patch) the shaded area represents … el área sombreada representa … areas of cloud across the South-West nubosidad sobre el sudoeste there are few open areas left in the city quedan pocos espacios abiertos en la ciudad apply the ointment to the affected areas aplicar el ungüento a las partes afectadas the wreckage of the plane was scattered over a wide area los restos del avión siniestrado quedaron esparcidos sobre una extensa zona
- 4 [Mathematics/Matemáticas] superficie (feminine), área (feminine (with masculine article in the singular)); (of room, land) superficie (feminine) 12 square meters in area 12 metros cuadrados de superficieExample sentences
- The green is four feet square in area, and cut on the side of a 75-degree slope.
- By the time the job was done, the bedroom had decreased in area by four square metres.
- The two areas had a varied degree of protection against poaching despite being of a similar size in area.
- 5 (field, sphere) terreno (masculine); (of knowledge) campo (masculine), terreno (masculine) area of competence área or terreno de competencia it's an area of difficulty/controversy es un terreno difícil/polémico an area of concern un tema que preocupa to identify problem areas identificar* problemasExample sentences
- Macquarie held the view that rural areas should have towns constructed as service centres and places of government.
- Up to 100,000 people move from towns into rural areas a year, said the minister.
- Thirty-seven percent of those travelers were heading to small towns or rural areas.
- General repairs and maintenance - outside these three key areas - are not subject to the new laws.
- They share this preoccupation with other disciplines and interdisciplinary subject areas in the humanities.
- States are rational or instrumental actors, always seeking to maximize their interests in all issue areas.
- 6 [Sport/Deporte](penalty area)área (feminine (with masculine article in the singular)) (de castigo)Example sentences
- Ronaldo rushes into the area and draws a decent save from Mirzapour with his left foot.
- Milton teased him with a clever low free-kick from outside the area that swished past the wall and out of reach at the near post.
- Riggott tripped Alan Mahon on the left side of the area and Dunn sent Oakes the wrong way from the penalty spot.
- 7 (in front of basement) (American English/inglés norteamericano) patio (masculine)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.