Translation of avoid in Spanish:
- 1 (keep away from)(obstacle/place)why are you avoiding me?
evitar¿por qué me rehúyes?she avoided his eyes
¿por qué intentas eludirme?evitó mirarlo a los ojosI'd managed to avoid being noticed until then
le eludió la miradahabía logrado pasar inadvertido hasta entoncesExample sentences
- What is the best method for those who wish to avoid excessive sun exposure and dairy sources of vitamin D?
- Ironically, women who seek these treatments to improve the appearance of their skin could have avoided their fate by avoiding excessive sun exposure in the first place.
- Why, you try cutting them out, stop eating them, avoiding temptation.
- 2 (refrain from) to avoid
-ingevitar +avoid drawing attention to yourself infinitiveevita llamar la atenciónyou can't avoid seeing her occasionally
procura no llamar la atenciónno puedes evitar verla de vez en cuandoExample sentences
- He said even the mine accidents that had been happening could have been avoided had monitoring committees been in place.
- The Met Office estimates £1 billion damage is caused to homes by bad weather alone, and much could be avoided by taking preventative measures.
- The reason to do it now is preventive to try and avoid a toothless old age for her.
- 3 (save oneself from)(trouble/embarrassment/accident)I don't pay if I can avoid it
evitarsi puedo evitarlo, no pagoto avoid
-ingevitar +she only just avoided being sent to prison infinitivese salvó de ir a la cárcel por muy poco
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.