Translation of award in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [prize/medal] conceder, otorgar*; [honor] conferir*; [pay increase/grant] conceder; [contract] dar*, adjudicar* the award for the best movie el galardón a la mejor película damages were awarded against her ex-husband su exmarido fue condenado a indemnizarla por daños y perjuiciosExample sentences1.2 [Sport/Deporte] [penalty/free kick] conceder
- The Commission objected and a deal was finally struck allowing Uefa to award broadcasting rights contracts for a maximum period of three years.
- The contracts are being awarded exclusively to US firms and are by invitation only.
- They must rue awarding him a three-year contract in January.
- A good case can be made for including only finishes for which prize money is awarded.
- The jury at Cannes last year agreed, awarding it the Jury Prize.
- I used to run a bar in East London and made the mistake a couple years ago of awarding the fancy dress prize at a New Year's Eve party to a guy dressed as a suicide bomber.
- 1.1 countable/numerable (prize) galardón (masculine), premio (masculine); (medal) condecoración (feminine) the award for the best movie el galardón a la mejor película 1.2 countable/numerable (sum of money) asignación (feminine), suma (feminine) de dinero; (as damages) indemnización (feminine); (grant) beca (feminine) an award of 8% (wage increase) un aumento (por convenio) del 8% 1.3 uncountable/no numerable (awarding — of prize, grant, pay increase) concesión (feminine); (— of contract) adjudicación (feminine)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.