- 1 [colloquial/familiar] 1.1 [journey/weather/day] horrible, espantoso, atroz; [clothes] horroroso, espantoso; [joke/movie] malísimo, pésimo it smells awful huele muy mal, tiene un olor que apesta [colloquial/familiar] he's an awful man es un repugnante I know it sounds awful, but I found it amusing te parecerá una barbaridad, pero me hizo gracia I felt awful me sentía fatal or muy mal I've an awful feeling I left the door unlocked ¡qué horror! me parece que no cerré la puerta con llave for one awful moment I thought he had seen me pasé un momento horrible or espantoso creyendo que me había visto you are awful! I didn't mean that ¡qué malo eres! or ¡qué mal pensado eres! no fue eso lo que quise decir I'm awful at chess soy un desastre jugando al ajedrez how awful for the poor girl! ¡qué horror! ¡pobre chica!More example sentences1.2 (as intensifier/como palabra enfática) she's an awful snob/bore es terriblemente esnob/aburrida there were an awful lot of people there había muchísima gente he doesn't eat an awful lot no come mucho there's not an awful lot to say no hay mucho que decir
- Aside from that, I thought most of the speeches were pretty awful.
- The problem is then he turned around and went to Columbia University on Wednesday and gave an awful speech on the economy.
- The speeches can sometimes be awful but his was very amusing.
- 2 2.1 (awesome) [archaic] imponente 2.2 (terrible) [literary/literario] [revenge/destruction] atrozMore example sentences
More example sentences
- There doesn't seem to be any ability to understand how or why terrorists might be led to do the admittedly horrifying and awful and frightful things that they've done.
- Something so dreadful, so awful, so horrifying, that Miiken could not stand the sight of it.
- It was no surprise really that when he made that shocking and awful accusation, he was across the Atlantic, presumably discussing already how the spoils of war were to be divided.
- He is not always the evil, ghoulish, awful, frightening character that sometimes the Satanists would picture him to be.
- They walk in awful splendor, regal yet.
- The awful majesty of God now will not be in the way to hinder perfect freedom and intimacy in the enjoyment of God.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Do you know what 'arpilleras' are? They are pieces of appliquéd textile folk art, common in South America. Doll characters and animals create a three-dimensional effect representing scenes from daily life.