Translation of awful in Spanish:
- 1 [colloquial] 1.1 it smells awfulhe's an awful manhuele muy maltiene un olor que apesta [colloquial]I know it sounds awful, but I found it amusinges un repugnanteI felt awfulte parecerá una barbaridad, pero me hizo graciaI've an awful feeling I left the door unlockedme sentía fatal or muy malfor one awful moment I thought he had seen me¡qué horror! me parece que no cerré la puerta con llaveyou are awful! I didn't mean thatpasé un momento horrible or espantoso creyendo que me había vistoI'm awful at chess¡qué malo eres! or ¡qué mal pensado eres! no fue eso lo que quise decirhow awful for the poor girl!soy un desastre jugando al ajedrez¡qué horror! ¡pobre chica!Example sentences1.2 (as intensifier) she's an awful snob/bore
there were an awful lot of people therees terriblemente esnob/aburridahe doesn't eat an awful lothabía muchísima gentethere's not an awful lot to sayno come muchono hay mucho que decirExample sentences
- Aside from that, I thought most of the speeches were pretty awful.
- The problem is then he turned around and went to Columbia University on Wednesday and gave an awful speech on the economy.
- The speeches can sometimes be awful but his was very amusing.
- I made an awful fool of myself.
- There's an awful risk of confusion for buyers.
- It's still an awful burden.
- 2 2.1 (awesome) [archaic] 2.2 (terrible) [literary](revenge/destruction)Example sentences
- There doesn't seem to be any ability to understand how or why terrorists might be led to do the admittedly horrifying and awful and frightful things that they've done.
- Something so dreadful, so awful, so horrifying, that Miiken could not stand the sight of it.
- It was no surprise really that when he made that shocking and awful accusation, he was across the Atlantic, presumably discussing already how the spoils of war were to be divided.
- He is not always the evil, ghoulish, awful, frightening character that sometimes the Satanists would picture him to be.
- They walk in awful splendor, regal yet.
- The awful majesty of God now will not be in the way to hinder perfect freedom and intimacy in the enjoyment of God.
- (American English) [colloquial] (as intensifier) I'm awful hotit's an awful long way to Tulsatengo un calor espantosoTulsa está lejísimosExample sentences
- This is an awful serious proposition… Let me argue it out for you.
- And yet those games of the early 80s seem awful quaint now, don't they?
- He has gotten awful buddy-buddy with them lately - maneuvering for the job?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.