Translation of awful in Spanish:
- 1 [colloquial/familiar] 1.1 [journey/weather/day] horrible, espantoso, atroz; [clothes] horroroso, espantoso; [joke/movie] malísimo, pésimo it smells awful huele muy mal, tiene un olor que apesta [colloquial/familiar] he's an awful man es un repugnante I know it sounds awful, but I found it amusing te parecerá una barbaridad, pero me hizo gracia I felt awful me sentía fatal or muy mal I've an awful feeling I left the door unlocked ¡qué horror! me parece que no cerré la puerta con llave for one awful moment I thought he had seen me pasé un momento horrible or espantoso creyendo que me había visto you are awful! I didn't mean that ¡qué malo eres! or ¡qué mal pensado eres! no fue eso lo que quise decir I'm awful at chess soy un desastre jugando al ajedrez how awful for the poor girl! ¡qué horror! ¡pobre chica!Example sentences1.2 (as intensifier/como palabra enfática) she's an awful snob/bore es terriblemente esnob/aburrida there were an awful lot of people there había muchísima gente he doesn't eat an awful lot no come mucho there's not an awful lot to say no hay mucho que decir
- Aside from that, I thought most of the speeches were pretty awful.
- The problem is then he turned around and went to Columbia University on Wednesday and gave an awful speech on the economy.
- The speeches can sometimes be awful but his was very amusing.
- 2 2.1 (awesome) [archaic] imponente 2.2 (terrible) [literary/literario] [revenge/destruction] atrozExample sentences
- There doesn't seem to be any ability to understand how or why terrorists might be led to do the admittedly horrifying and awful and frightful things that they've done.
- Something so dreadful, so awful, so horrifying, that Miiken could not stand the sight of it.
- It was no surprise really that when he made that shocking and awful accusation, he was across the Atlantic, presumably discussing already how the spoils of war were to be divided.
- He is not always the evil, ghoulish, awful, frightening character that sometimes the Satanists would picture him to be.
- They walk in awful splendor, regal yet.
- The awful majesty of God now will not be in the way to hinder perfect freedom and intimacy in the enjoyment of God.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
An estanco is an establishment selling tobacco, stamps, bus and subway passes and other products whose sale is restricted. Cigarettes etc are sold in bars and cafés but at higher prices. Estancos also sell stationery and sometimes newspapers.