Translation of awful in Spanish:
- 1 [colloquial] 1.1 it smells awfulhuele muy malhe's an awful man
tiene un olor que apesta [colloquial]es un repugnanteI know it sounds awful, but I found it amusingte parecerá una barbaridad, pero me hizo graciaI felt awfulme sentía fatal or muy malI've an awful feeling I left the door unlocked¡qué horror! me parece que no cerré la puerta con llavefor one awful moment I thought he had seen mepasé un momento horrible or espantoso creyendo que me había vistoyou are awful! I didn't mean that¡qué malo eres! or ¡qué mal pensado eres! no fue eso lo que quise decirI'm awful at chesssoy un desastre jugando al ajedrezhow awful for the poor girl!¡qué horror! ¡pobre chica!Example sentences1.2 (as intensifier) she's an awful snob/bore
es terriblemente esnob/aburridathere were an awful lot of people therehabía muchísima gentehe doesn't eat an awful lotno come muchothere's not an awful lot to sayno hay mucho que decirExample sentences
- Aside from that, I thought most of the speeches were pretty awful.
- The problem is then he turned around and went to Columbia University on Wednesday and gave an awful speech on the economy.
- The speeches can sometimes be awful but his was very amusing.
- I made an awful fool of myself.
- There's an awful risk of confusion for buyers.
- It's still an awful burden.
- 2 2.1 (awesome) [archaic]Example sentences2.2 (terrible) [literary]
- He is not always the evil, ghoulish, awful, frightening character that sometimes the Satanists would picture him to be.
- They walk in awful splendor, regal yet.
- The awful majesty of God now will not be in the way to hinder perfect freedom and intimacy in the enjoyment of God.
- There doesn't seem to be any ability to understand how or why terrorists might be led to do the admittedly horrifying and awful and frightful things that they've done.
- Something so dreadful, so awful, so horrifying, that Miiken could not stand the sight of it.
- It was no surprise really that when he made that shocking and awful accusation, he was across the Atlantic, presumably discussing already how the spoils of war were to be divided.
- (American English) [colloquial] (as intensifier) I'm awful hottengo un calor espantosoit's an awful long way to TulsaTulsa está lejísimosExample sentences
- This is an awful serious proposition… Let me argue it out for you.
- And yet those games of the early 80s seem awful quaint now, don't they?
- He has gotten awful buddy-buddy with them lately - maneuvering for the job?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.