The Senado is the name of the upper chamber of the Spanish Cortes Generales, and the place where it meets. There are 250 senators, most of whom are elected every four years, at general elections, four from each province. A small number of senators are also elected by the autonomous governments.
- vasco the Basque language el euskera or vasco or vascuence the Basque Country el País Vasco, Euskadi (masculine)More example sentences
- In these simple clubs, whose name in the ancient Basque language means ‘corner’, attendance is by invitation only.
- They sing and improvise in Euskera, the Basque language.
- The Basque language is extremely difficult and complex.
- 1.1 countable/numerable (person) vasco, (masculine, feminine)More example sentences1.2 uncountable/no numerable (language) euskera (m), vasco (m), vascuence (m)
- During the period of Spanish colonization, Basques from Spain had often taken administrative posts overseas.
- The distinctive Basque culture was recognized by the rulers of Castile until the nineteenth century, when the Basques ' privileges were removed by the Spanish court.
- Although the Basque country is divided between France and Spain, the Basques have maintained an identity separate from both states.