Translation of beam in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (in building)(in ship) bao (masculine)(Sport)
barra (feminine) sueca or de equilibrioExample sentences
- With sturdy metal beams as their building blocks, architects and engineers could erect monumental skyscrapers hundreds of feet in the air.
- The slab is designed as a continuous plate supported by the floor beams and edge girders.
- Here, behind the building's exposed beams, Sze stacked scores of small white jewelry boxes into precarious ziggurats.
Example sentences1.2 (widest part of ship) on the port/starboard beam
- Good in all exercises, but excels on the asymmetrical bars and the beam.
- The team was impressive especially on beam where gymnasts after gymnast nailed difficult combinations.
- I think they were especially successful in the floor exercises, the beam and the vaults.
a babor/estriborto be broad in the beam [colloquial]ser culón [colloquial]tener un buen trasero [colloquial]Example sentences1.3 (of scales)
- One part of the outer hull is punctured by a support beam from the larger ship.
- Startled, I jerked my hand away, smacking my head on one of the upper deck's support beams in the process.
- It is mounted on a support beam under my rear deck.
- She was constructed of teak and reported as being 84 tons, 56 feet in length and having a beam of 18 feet 6 inches.
- She is one hundred and sixty eight feet in length, twenty four feet across the beam and weighs 330 tons.
- With her three pearl white parallel hulls she had a 25-foot beam.
- The most usual Irish term for a balance in general, and also for the beam of a balance, was meadh [ma], which is the word in use at the present day.
- Directions indicated by the beam of a balance or a hanging plummet are called horizontal or vertical, respectively.
- The original form of a weighing scale consisted of a beam with a fulcrum at its center.
- 2 2.1 (ray)(broad) haz (masculine) de luza beam of light keep the headlights on high o (British English) full o main beam (Cars)deja las (luces) largas or (Chile) altasto align the beams (Cars)alinear los farosExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 (Radio)
- He had a touch of Jennifer Lopez's Latin good looks, but was less broad in the beam.
- Annick is, to use one of my mother's expressions, a little broad in the beam.
- She is, at 53, shorter than you'd expect, broad in the beam and still so extravagantly beautiful she appears unreal.
haz (masculine) de radiofaroto be off (the) beamestar equivocadohe's way off (the) beam if he thinks thatestá totalmente equivocado si piensa esoto be on the beamher predictions were right on the beamsus predicciones resultaron totalmente acertadasyou're right on the beam!¡has dado en el clavo! [colloquial]Example sentences
- As he stepped into a dim beam of light, I could make out his face; the face of a tortured man whose entire life had been called into question.
- Natural light seeps through to every sump, and it is magical to drift through the maze of stalactites studded with reflective crystals, the light dancing in the beams of our torches.
- Lighthouses are like isolated watchmen, flashing their warning beam of light in the night sky.
- In addition to detecting enemy aircraft, the radar beam also echoed from precipitation, which proved a valuable tool in war planning.
- Radar detectors do just what their name implies - they detect the radar beams that are emitted from a police officer or state trooper's radar guns.
- The beams would guide a pilot to the airstrip, but in conditions of zero visibility, they did not provide altitude.
- 1 (shine) the sun was beaming down from a cloudless skyel sol caía de lleno desde un cielo sin nubesExample sentences
- The sun shined brightly and the rays of light beamed into the King and Queen's room as the windows were opened.
- The bright lights were still beaming down as bright as ever.
- Suddenly, a bright light beamed on the werewolf's face, and it hid its eyes.
- 2 (smile)sonreír (abiertamente)he greeted them with a beaming smilelos saludó con una sonrisa radianteshe beamed with delightsonrió encantadaExample sentences
- The Barbie looked at her, every bit of its plastic smile beaming its approval.
- I beamed my approval and choked down the lump in my throat.
- When I approach to thank him for the dance, he clasps my hand and shakes it vigorously, beaming appreciation.
- 1 (broadcast)Example sentences
- In one experiment, Clementine beamed radio signals into shadowed craters near the Moon's south pole.
- A global Christian organisation already beams a shortwave signal from transmitters just outside Kununurra.
- The moment will be beamed by satellite transmission to television and radio stations around the world.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.