Translation of better in Spanish:
- 1comp of → good 1.1(quality/doctor/method/price)his tennis is better now
mejorahora juega mejor al tenishe's better at playing the guitar than at singingtoca la guitarra mejor de lo que cantafruit's much better for you than candyla fruta es mucho más sana que los caramelosI've got an even better ideatengo una idea aún mejorthings couldn't be bettertodo va de maravillaI'll just take these shoes off … ah, that's betterme voy a quitar los zapatos … ¡uf … qué alivio!what do you think of the wine? — I've tasted better¿qué te parece el vino? — los he probado mejoresto get better her playing gets better and bettercada vez toca mejorthe bigger/quicker the bettercuanto más grande/rápido mejorthe less said about it the bettercuanto menos se hable del tema mejorthe garden looks all the better for the rainla lluvia le ha venido bien al jardínif they can both come, so much the bettersi pueden venir los dos, mucho or tanto mejorI feel none the better for knowing that she has failed as wellno es ningún consuelo saber que ella tampoco lo ha logradoshe's little better than a thiefes poco menos que una ladronashe's no better than a thiefes una ladrona, ni más ni menoshave you got nothing better to do than … ?¿no tienes nada mejor que hacer que … ?he's moved on to better things since thendesde entonces se ha superado muchoto be better than one's wordcumplir con creces lo prometidoto go one betterI can go one better: I'll give you interest-free credityo puedo hacerle una oferta aún mejor: le doy crédito sin interésnot content with that, she decided to go one betterno satisfecha con eso, decidió ir aún más lejoshe always has to go one better than everyone elsesiempre tiene que ser más que nadieExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (more suitable, desirable)
- The high street is getting better at delivering good, fashionable styles and is great for an instant trend hit.
- Get someone else to do it preferably someone who is better at it than you are.
- Now does that mean we all can't be a little better at what we do or be a little more responsible?
(suggestion/plan/date)it would be better to go by plane
- My message is that hostility can be turned to our advantage if we're better, smarter, wiser at the end of the season.
- Both the winner and the runner-up will be seen to better advantage over a longer trip.
- The runner up came from a long way back and should be seen to better advantage over an extended trip.
mejorsería mucho mejor ir en aviónthe matter is better forgottenlo mejor será olvidar el asunto
- 1comp of → well1 she swims better than I do o than menada mejor que yowe get on better than we used tonos llevamos mejor que antesyou can have it for five dollars: I can't do better than that, can I?te lo dejo en cinco libras; más no me puedes pedir ¿no?I can see better from heredesde aquí veo mejorwe'd've done better to waithubiera sido mejor esperarthey did better out of the deal than they admitsalieron mejor parados con el acuerdo de lo que pretendenno one was better liked than he wasnadie era tan querido como élhe thinks he knows better(se) cree que sabe másat the last moment he thought better of it and …a último momento cambió de idea or lo pensó mejor y …Example sentences
- Won't all of it be money that could be better spent fixing schools and hospitals instead?
- They say the money and time would be better spent trying to change sexual behaviour.
- Young believes profits are better spent finding and targeting new niches.
- 2had better (ought)hadn't you better phone them?¿no deberías llamarlos?I'd better leave before it gets darkva a ser mejor que me vaya antes de que oscurezcawell, I'd better be off you'd better do exactly as I saymás te vale hacer exactamente lo que yo te digayou'd better not complain!¡más te vale no quejarte!you'd better believe it! [colloquial]sí señor
- 3 (more)(American English)it cost me better than $100 to repair
másme costó más de 100 dólares arreglarloExample sentences
- Cue Andrew, whose style of bowling suited the conditions far better.
- As the rain fell Carrickmore seemingly were able to cope with the adverse conditions better.
- Hopefully, the world will be better able to live with itself in peace.
- 1 1.1 (superior of two) the betterel mejorhe is the better of the two brothers at swimmingde los dos hermanos es el que mejor nadafor the betterpara bienhe's changed — and for the better!
para mejorha cambiado — ¡y para bien!things took a turn for the betterlas cosas dieron un giro positivoto get the better of somebody/somethingganarle la batalla a alguien/algomy curiosity got the better of mela curiosidad fue más fuerte que yo or pudo más que yoExample sentences1.2
also: betters plural(superiors)superiores (masculine plural)his elders and betterssus mayoresExample sentences
- The world has been actively and consciously changed for the better in the past.
- Education brings about dialogue and hence the society could be changed for the better.
- I have high hopes that he will be able to change the way we look at sports, for the better.
- They are respected members of the community and for his family to see him ignoring and jeering his elders and betters is very disappointing.
- It is important to keep a sense of proportion about these things and, it seems to me, there are times when our elders and betters lose the run of themselves.
- Even the Parrot aimed to inculcate the habits of godliness and good behaviour, consideration for others, respect for ones elders and betters.
- 1(improve) (conditions/lot)
mejorar(chances)to better oneself
aumentar(financially) prosperar(culturally, educationally) superarseExample sentences
- When workers do make meaningful advances against their local employers by modestly improving their wages or bettering their working conditions, the subcontracts are not as lucrative for the local elites.
- Exploiting the public is not leading it; satisfying its passions or sanctioning its ideas is not bettering them; and we understand… the heart of the people and their ideas.
- Eckstein worked all offseason to improve his range by bettering his footwork and getting good jumps on the ball.
- 2Example sentences
- The 22-year-old then bettered her three previous performances at the French Open by beating the 10th seed en-route to the third round.
- The apparent ease at which he was scoring suggested he would have gone beyond the 300 barrier, but he was content with bettering his previous test-best score by exactly 100.
- He was unlucky not to receive an Oscar nomination for his touching and subtle performance, which betters any of his previous work.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.