- (limits)límites (masculine plural)within boundsdentro de ciertos límitesher generosity/enthusiasm knows no boundssu generosidad/entusiasmo no tiene límite(s)within the bounds of the citydentro del perímetro urbano or de los límites de la ciudadwithin the bounds of reason/possibilitydentro de lo razonable/posiblethe play goes beyond the bounds of decencyla obra cae en lo indecenteit's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they know already(bien) cabe la posibilidad de que ya lo sepanthe shop is out of bounds to schoolchildren
no es descabellado pensar que ya lo sabenlos niños tienen prohibido entrar en la tiendaExample sentences
- We elves patrol throughout the Black Wood, and well into the bounds of the ancient elf kingdom, including the Marshes where you are from.
- I do not need to take it any further than to merely say there is a broad power and it can operate beyond the bounds of the Territory.
- The bounds of the territorium, described topographically, match the present Llangors parish.
- My only limits are the bounds of good taste, what I consider good taste.
- His ambition for approbation sets bounds and limits to his ambition, so to speak.
- By contrast, hoarding of a non-monetary commodity is kept within bounds by declining marginal utility.
- (field/area/country)she refuses to be bounded by practical constraints
delimitarse niega a verse constreñida por consideraciones de orden prácticoExample sentences
- Oval in plan, the enclosure is bounded by a single stone wall 2.7 m. thick.
- It is 120 feet long and 45 feet wide, is enclosed by cut stone granite walls and bounded by mature trees.
- The site is bounded by fencing, hedges and trees, and fences divide most of the plots.
- (predicative) (headed)bound
fora ship bound for New Yorkun barco con rumbo a Nueva Yorkthe truck was bound for Italyel camión iba rumbo a Italiathey are homeward/Moscow boundvan camino a casa/a MoscúExample sentences
- That where he is bound come April 5, when he will attempt to better his brave fourth place in last year's National.
- Much to my delight, the traffic was heading in the other direction and I had the northern bound freeway to myself.
- But how many minutes will the bench - bound Italian with the stylised facial hair play against the Koreans?
- past & past p→ bind
- 1 (obliged)to be bound to +
infinitivethe police are bound to prosecute in such casesla policía está obligada a remitir tales casos a la justiciahe felt bound to tell his mother what had happenedse sintió obligado a decirle a su madre lo que había sucedidoI'm duty/honor bound to tell you the truthes mi deber/obligación decirte la verdadbound and determined (American English)
- 2 (predicative) (certain)to be bound to +
infinitiveit was bound to happen sooner or latertarde o temprano tenía que sucedershe's bound to be electedseguro que sale elegidait's bound to be expensiveseguro que es caroit was bound to go wrong
tiene que ser carono cabía duda de que iba a salir malthey're up to no good, I'll be bound [colloquial] [dated]estoy seguro de que están haciendo algo que no deben
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.