Translation of breed in Spanish:
- (of animals)(of plants)a new breed of athletes/managers
variedad (feminine)una nueva generación de atletas/directivosa new breed of warships
un nuevo tipo de atleta/directivoun nuevo género de barcos de guerraa dying breed a breed apartun mundo aparteExample sentences
- This text would be very applicable for an introductory course in animal breeds, selection, evaluation and judging.
- I would point out that we have special breeds of animals that we bred for hundreds of years.
- In the section for cattle, about 600 stud animals of 15 different breeds and 16 slaughter steers have been entered.
transitive verb past tense & past participle bred
- 1.1(animals)this stable has bred many champions
criarde esta cuadra han salido muchos campeonesthey are breeding a new type of wheatestán desarrollando el cultivo de un nuevo tipo de trigo1.2 (raise, educate) the country breeds good athletesel país produce buenos atletasI'm a Londoner born and brednací y me crié en Londreswe breed them tough in these partslos hacemos machotes por aquí [colloquial]1.3 success breeds successel éxito llama al éxitoExample sentences
- Cows were bred to Brangus bulls during the 60-d breeding season, with 1 bull per 18 cows.
- Hereford sires were bred to Angus and MARC III cows.
- Mules, animals that result from breeding a male donkey with a female horse, are usually sterile.
- Most leeks can be harvested for use as baby leeks, but some varieties are bred for culinary appeal as baby leeks.
- Hybrid seeds, on the other hand, are bred for qualities such as longevity or disease resistance.
- Many seed catalogs feature varieties that are bred for small size plots - and organic too!
intransitive verb past tense & past participle bred
- 1.1 (reproduce)reproducirse1.2(despair/violence)
- Naturally, I concluded that athletic success bred confidence that carries through into professional life.
- Or could it be that beauty breeds fame and success?
- Usually, success breeds envy and resentment, but we've stayed good friends.
- There are, he says, at least 200 different species of bacteria breeding feverishly behind your lips.
- Some Australian bird species or parrot species will breed quite happily here in captivity.
- And they also believe that the creatures are breeding in our countryside.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.