Translation of butterfly in Spanish:
noun plural butterflies
- 1 countable (Zoology)Example sentences
- The Peaks are also a stronghold for the striking green hairstreak butterfly and the emperor moth, which feeds on heather.
- In the windows passers-by will see a plethora of wildlife, including butterflies, insects and moths, which have lived in the building at one point in its history.
- This is a bacteria that is only harmful to Lepidoptera - butterflies and moths.
- 2 countable (person)(persona que no sienta cabeza)Example sentences
- Are you kind of a social butterfly, do you think?
- I not a social butterfly per se, but I like to go out.
- I always had friends, but I was never a social butterfly.
- 3 uncountable (swimming stroke) to do the butterflynadar (estilo) mariposanadar a mariposa (Spain)nadar de mariposa (Mexico)Example sentences
- Her only weak stroke was the butterfly, and this stood in the way of her improving in the IM events.
- She is also the only woman to have won golds in three different strokes - freestyle, backstroke and butterfly.
- Performing drills that focus on breathing, timing and acceleration can help a swimmer grasp the finer points of swimming butterfly.
- 4also: butterflies plural(nervous feeling)nervios (masculine plural)my butterflies disappear as soon as I get on stagelos nervios se me pasan en cuanto subo al escenarioto get/have butterflies (in one's stomach)ponerse/estar nerviosoExample sentences
- Nervous butterflies fluttered in her stomach every time a messenger or lower official left Orwell's tent for fear that it might be Smith.
- Marie shook her head; trying to ward off the butterflies fluttering nervously about in her stomach.
- I'm not yet a good driver, nor a completely confident one but at least the idea of doing it no longer sets butterflies fluttering in my stomach.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.