- 1 1.1 (temporary) a gipsy camp(summer) camp (in US)un campamento gitanoto pitch camp to break o strike campcolonia (feminine) de vacaciones or veranolevantar el campamentoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (permanent) See examples:army camp
- Thousands of local residents face serious health problems in overcrowded refugee camps and temporary shelters.
- Many neighborhoods, towns, villages, and refugee camps were badly damaged or destroyed.
- ‘We are not going to seize scout camps and little pup tents,’ Ms Rydalch said.
concentration/labor campcampamento (masculine) militarcampo (masculine) de concentración/trabajo
- We had her secured in a tent when we made camp last night.
- They hiked for the rest of the day and made camp just before sunset.
- We had pitched camp at dusk, raising the tents beside the ruins of an old rest house on a bluff of rock named Maggu Chatti.
- 2 (group, position) to be in the same campestar en el mismo bandoExample sentences
- In this regard, the political camps ought to tackle the issue of changing the presidential election system only after they help state affairs run smoothly and efficiently.
- The protesters came from two different camps; one group supporting the minister's decision, the other opposing it.
- Many of the contributors explain how Reagan influenced their shift from liberal or moderate politics into the conservative camp.
- to go campingir de camping or de campamento or de acampadaExample sentences
- He added that his biggest concern was for people camping in the local caravan park and on the school fields.
- It is also estimated that some one-in-three adults have been camping or taken a caravan holiday at some time.
- We were living in the woods, camping out in tents.
- 1 (effeminate)Example sentences
- When I got there, the nurse, a slightly camp guy from the Philippines, shook his head with an expression somewhere between horror and sympathy.
- This would make a sad camp man with a receding hairline the ultimate in coolness.
- Nicholas, in his own effeminately camp style, made the waitress describe the contents of several of the desserts, and only chose something after much cogitation.
- 2Example sentences
- Featuring an ageing Las Vegas showgirl, brilliantly performed by Nadine Tyson, it mixed camp style and pathos with the glitz and energy of showbiz.
- The mannerisms of the male troupers were too deliberately camp to capture the nuances of the Kern stories they were supposed to be illustrating.
- He is the hyper-active dynamo in a very strong cast, giving a showy performance full of camp malice.
- uncountable (affected behavior, style)Example sentences
- It wears its queerness like a flashy Dolce and Gabbana blouse, with style and humor and camp - but an intentional lack of tragedy.
- The film deliberately plays for camp and kitsch, and then suddenly it becomes quite gothic.
- It is a dazzling performance layered with more than a hint of theatrical camp.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
In some Andean countries, particularly Chile, onces is a light meal eaten between five and six p.m., the equivalent of "afternoon tea" in Britain. In Colombia, on the other hand, onces is a light snack eaten between breakfast and lunch. It is also known as mediasnueves.