- 1 1.1 (temporary) a gipsy campun campamento gitano(summer) camp (in US)campamento (masculine) de veranoto pitch camp to break o strike camp
colonia (feminine) de vacaciones or veranoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (permanent)army camp
- Thousands of local residents face serious health problems in overcrowded refugee camps and temporary shelters.
- Many neighborhoods, towns, villages, and refugee camps were badly damaged or destroyed.
- ‘We are not going to seize scout camps and little pup tents,’ Ms Rydalch said.
campamento (masculine) militarconcentration/labor campcampo (masculine) de concentración/trabajo
- We had her secured in a tent when we made camp last night.
- They hiked for the rest of the day and made camp just before sunset.
- We had pitched camp at dusk, raising the tents beside the ruins of an old rest house on a bluff of rock named Maggu Chatti.
- 2 (group, position) to be in the same campestar en el mismo bandoExample sentences
- In this regard, the political camps ought to tackle the issue of changing the presidential election system only after they help state affairs run smoothly and efficiently.
- The protesters came from two different camps; one group supporting the minister's decision, the other opposing it.
- Many of the contributors explain how Reagan influenced their shift from liberal or moderate politics into the conservative camp.
- to go campingir de camping or de campamento or de acampadaExample sentences
- He added that his biggest concern was for people camping in the local caravan park and on the school fields.
- It is also estimated that some one-in-three adults have been camping or taken a caravan holiday at some time.
- We were living in the woods, camping out in tents.
- 1 (effeminate)Example sentences
- When I got there, the nurse, a slightly camp guy from the Philippines, shook his head with an expression somewhere between horror and sympathy.
- This would make a sad camp man with a receding hairline the ultimate in coolness.
- Nicholas, in his own effeminately camp style, made the waitress describe the contents of several of the desserts, and only chose something after much cogitation.
- 2Example sentences
- Featuring an ageing Las Vegas showgirl, brilliantly performed by Nadine Tyson, it mixed camp style and pathos with the glitz and energy of showbiz.
- The mannerisms of the male troupers were too deliberately camp to capture the nuances of the Kern stories they were supposed to be illustrating.
- He is the hyper-active dynamo in a very strong cast, giving a showy performance full of camp malice.
- uncountable (affected behavior, style)Example sentences
- It wears its queerness like a flashy Dolce and Gabbana blouse, with style and humor and camp - but an intentional lack of tragedy.
- The film deliberately plays for camp and kitsch, and then suddenly it becomes quite gothic.
- It is a dazzling performance layered with more than a hint of theatrical camp.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.