- 1 (matter) the Greene caseel caso Greenepolice are investigating several cases of fraudla policía está investigando varios casos de estafato dismiss a casesobreseer una causato hear a caseconocer de una causato lose/win a caseperder/ganar un pleito or juiciothe workers' case has been taken up by the paperslos periódicos se han hecho eco de la causa de los obrerosan open-and-shut caseun caso claroto be on somebody's case (US)
un caso que no tiene vuelta de hojaestar encima de alguienhe's been on my case ever sincedesde entonces ha estado encima de míget off my case!¡déjame tranquilo or en paz!to make a federal case out of something (US) [colloquial]hacer un drama de algo
- 2 2.1 (Medicine) two cases of meningitis, two meningitis casesdos casos de meningitisthe doctor said he was a hopeless caseel médico dijo que no tenía curaExample sentences
Example sentences2.2 [colloquial] (pitiable person) he's a mental case
- Diabetes and hypertension are the underlying causes in most cases of chronic kidney disease.
- But he said a lot of work was being done to raise awareness and combat rising cases of diseases like chlamydia in the town.
- How many cases of mumps, measles, or rubella would the lack of vaccination of this number of children produce?
está loco de remate or de atar [colloquial]don't trust her with it, she's a hopeless caseno se lo confíes a ella, es un caso perdidothe man next door's a sad caseel del vecino es un caso digno de lástima2.3 [dated] (eccentric)caso (masculine) [colloquial]my aunt's a real casemi tía es un caso [colloquial]Example sentences
- The most severe cases are medical emergencies and require the skilled care of a physician in hospital to avoid death.
- Severe cases require treatment in hospital with antibiotics.
- Less than one per cent of the substantiated cases required medical care for broken bones or head trauma.
- I checked out the whole joint, mate, and the verdict is in: you're a case.
- "He's a case," said Father Jerry.
- She's a case and a half. You love to hate her don't you?
- 3 (instance, situation) a clear case of biasun caso claro de parcialidadit was a case of love at first sightfue el clásico flechazoit was a case of doing what we were told
fue el caso típico de amor a primera vistaera cuestión de hacer lo que se nos mandarain Martin's case, in the case of Martinen el caso de Martinin her caseen su casoa case in pointun ejemplo que viene al casoin most cases
un caso puntualen la mayoría de los casosas the case may be in no case [formal]bajo or en ninguna circunstanciahe won't go — in that case, neither will Ino quiere ir — (pues) en ese caso, yo tampocothat is the caseasí esif that's the case
esa es la cuestiónsi es asíthat's not the caseno es asíthat's the case with him tooa él le pasa lo mismoin that case, I'm not interesteden ese caso, no me interesait is less common than used to be the casees menos frecuente de lo que solía ser
- 4 (in phrases) in any case in case (as conjunction) make a note in case you forgetapúntalo por si te olvidasjust in case bring a sweater just in case
apúntalo en caso de que se te olvidetráete un suéter por si acasotráete un suéter por si las moscas [colloquial]in case of in case of fire/accidenten caso de incendio/accidente
- 5 (argument)the case for the prosecution the case for the defensela defensashe has a good/strong casesus argumentos son buenos/poderososthere is a case for leniency/for doing nothinghay razones para ser indulgente/para no hacer nadato make (out) a case for something/
-ingexponer los argumentos a favor de algo/para +the case put by the banks is that … infinitivela razón que aducen los bancos es que …to put/state one's casedar/exponer sus ( or mis etc. ) razonesthere's no case to answerla acusación no tiene asidero or fundamentoI rest my caseExample sentences
- They will also argue an economic case against membership.
- He has travelled literally thousands of miles to argue the case against war and occupation.
- If disaster movies are to be the new currency of scientific debate, who will make the case against alarmism?
- 1 (crate)(of wine, liquor) (caja de 12 botellas)Example sentences
- Many English longcase clocks had cases designed in the style of the period in which they were made.
- I explained to her that the case held a CD-R containing files for work that I wanted to take home and work on overnight.
- Among the sofas I encounter a perspex case containing a sleek-looking chair.
- Beer and milk may be sold in crates but, contrary to popular usage, wine is sold in cases.
- At Tesco in Oldham, she was sold a case of 12 bottles of Stella lager.
- A case of beer, a case of wine, and six bottles of Wild Turkey were disposed of in merciless fashion.
- [slang]to case the jointreconocer el terreno (antes de cometer un delito)Example sentences
- I'd been casing this neglected place for weeks.
- If you see a guy who looks like a burglar casing the joint - that will be me!
- This individual was casing the area for a burglary that took place on the 26th.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.