- 1 (main) 1.1 [office/library] central central station estación (feminine) central the central government/bank el gobierno/banco central the car has central locking el coche tiene cierre centralizado (de puertas)More example sentences
More example sentences1.2 [problem] fundamental, principal; [theme/character] central, principal to play a central role/part in sth jugar* un papel primordial or fundamental en algoto be central
- In the middle of its central courtyard rises a large stupa, which once contained large Buddhist images.
- The whole lake area is divided into five parts, the northeast, the southeast, the northwest, the southwest and the central area.
- Council cabinet members next week are expected to approve a proposal that would see the pilot project extended to cover the Maltby and central Rotherham area.
- But the principle is central to Brown's personal election campaign.
- He used this genuine mandate to end American's war in Korea; the issue had been central to his campaign.
- This arrangement is based on Steiner's Fundamental Social Principle and has been central to the Camphill ethos.
tosth this is central to the success of the project esto es fundamental para que el proyecto sea un éxito his reinstatement is central to our demands su readmisión es uno de los puntos clave de nuestras reivindicaciones
- 2 (in the center) 2.1 [area/street/location] céntrico our office is very central nuestra oficina está en una zona céntrica or en un lugar muy céntrico in central Chicago en el centro de Chicago 2.2 [Anatomy/Anatomía] central 2.3 [Linguistics/Lingüística] [vowel/articulation] medio, centralMore example sentences
More example sentences
- In view of the time required to move to more peripheral vowel positions, tense vowels tend to be peripheral and lax vowels closer to schwa, the neutral or central vowel.
- The near-open central vowel is a type of vowel sound, used in some spoken languages.
- Some linguists claim that it is a back vowel, others argue that it is a central vowel.
- The new capital required a secure and central location, easily accessible from all parts of the state.
- Other advantages of our facility here are the central and easily accessible location, plus plenty of free parking.
- Changes in user access requirements can be entered from the central location for all building occupants.
- (American English/inglés norteamericano) [History/Historia] central (feminine) telefónica
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.