Translation of chalk in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable [Geology/Geología] creta (feminine), caliza (feminine) to be as different as chalk and cheese (British English/inglés británico) ser* (como) la noche y el día or (como) el día y la noche (before noun/delante del nombre) chalk soil tierra (feminine) caliza or calcáreaExample sentences
- The coccolithophorids range in age from Triassic to Recent, and form a major constituent of Mesozoic and Tertiary chalks.
- Pore-filling cementation is also common during the diagenesis of chalks, resulting in rapid porosity loss.
- The cited examples are all interpreted as large-scale erosional scour-channels, variously associated with cemented hardgrounds, conglomeratic and nodular chalks, and debris.
- 2 c and u 2.1 (for writing) tiza (feminine), gis (masculine) (Mexico/México) a piece of chalk una tiza, un gis (Mexico/México) chalk and talk (British English/inglés británico) enseñanza (feminine) tradicional ([ con profesor y pizarra ]) not by a long chalk (British English/inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar] ni mucho menos she's the best candidate by a long chalk es, con mucho, la mejor candidata 2.2 (in billiards) tiza (feminine)Example sentences
- I turned quickly and grabbed a piece of chalk off the black board on one of the walls.
- I knew white farmers whose idea of education for black children was a blackboard, a few sticks of chalk and a chair for an untrained teacher.
- This exhibition features drawings in mixed media chalk, charcoal and graphite drawings on paper which have evolved from studies of the Achill landscape.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [billiard cue] entizar* 1.2 (write with chalk) escribir* con tiza or (Mexico/México) gis
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Browse other language resources
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...