Translation of chalk in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable/no numerable [Geology/Geología] creta (feminine), caliza (feminine) to be as different as chalk and cheese (British English/inglés británico) ser* (como) la noche y el día or (como) el día y la noche (before noun/delante del nombre) chalk soil tierra (feminine) caliza or calcáreaExample sentences
- The coccolithophorids range in age from Triassic to Recent, and form a major constituent of Mesozoic and Tertiary chalks.
- Pore-filling cementation is also common during the diagenesis of chalks, resulting in rapid porosity loss.
- The cited examples are all interpreted as large-scale erosional scour-channels, variously associated with cemented hardgrounds, conglomeratic and nodular chalks, and debris.
- 2 c and u 2.1 (for writing) tiza (feminine), gis (masculine) (Mexico/México) a piece of chalk una tiza, un gis (Mexico/México) chalk and talk (British English/inglés británico) enseñanza (feminine) tradicional ([ con profesor y pizarra ]) not by a long chalk (British English/inglés británico) [colloquial/familiar] ni mucho menos she's the best candidate by a long chalk es, con mucho, la mejor candidata 2.2 (in billiards) tiza (feminine)Example sentences
- I turned quickly and grabbed a piece of chalk off the black board on one of the walls.
- I knew white farmers whose idea of education for black children was a blackboard, a few sticks of chalk and a chair for an untrained teacher.
- This exhibition features drawings in mixed media chalk, charcoal and graphite drawings on paper which have evolved from studies of the Achill landscape.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 [billiard cue] entizar* 1.2 (write with chalk) escribir* con tiza or (Mexico/México) gis
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Bonoloto is a Spanish state lottery established in 1988. The others are the Lotería Nacional and the Lotería Primitiva. As with the Lotería Primitiva six numbers are marked on a ticket showing forty-nine numbers and win the main prize if all the numbers come up in the draw.