Translation of character in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable and countable (of person) 1.1 (temperament, nature) the national characterel carácter nacionalwe have very different characterstenemos un carácter muy distintoto be in/out of character
tenemos caracteres muy distintosser/no ser típicorudeness is very much in character for himla mala educación es típica de él or es un rasgo típico en élshe's a good judge of characteres buena psicóloga1.2also: good characterhe bears good charactertiene buena reputaciónto vouch for somebody's (good) characterresponder por alguienhe's been a victim of character assassinationhan intentado destruir su reputación1.3 (strength of personality) a person of strong character
ha sido víctima de difamaciónuna persona de carácter fuertehe lacks character
una persona con una personalidad fuerteno tiene carácterarmy life builds characterla vida militar imprime carácterExample sentences
- People are going to be amazed at her strength of character and her intellect.
- Many apparently well-balanced people have no strength of character.
- Let's pray my husband has the same courage and strength of character.
- 2 uncountable and countable (of place, thing) the restaurant has lots of characterel restaurante tiene mucho carácterthe house has no characterla casa no tiene carácter or estilothe characters of the two cities are very differentel carácter de las dos ciudades es muy distintoher face is full of charactertiene una cara con mucha personalidadthe demonstration soon took on the character of a riotla manifestación no tardó en tomar un cariz violentoExample sentences
- Residents were notified of the scheme late last week and claim it will completely change the character of the area.
- Hopefully your personality will fit well with the character and nature of your team.
- Obviously the court must recognise and pay regard to the character and nature of the business in question.
- 3 countable 3.1 (in novel, play, movie) he doesn't react in charactersu reacción no es la que cabría esperar de su personaje3.2 (person)tipo (masculine) [colloquial]he's an odd/a nasty characteres un tipo raro/un mal tipo [colloquial]Example sentences3.3 (eccentric person) Jane's a real character
Jane es (todo) un caso
- He's a fairly aggressive and tenacious character in business terms.
- Nick is convinced that his story is true, despite earlier doubts and perceptions of Jay as a rather shady character.
- He walked into the debriefing room and was greeted by General Li, a suspicious and shady character.
- 4 countable (symbol) Chinese/Roman characterscaracteres chinos/romanosExample sentences
- The abolition of the use of Chinese characters from all public printing and writing helped achieve nationwide literacy at a remarkable speed.
- For a premium, they will also be placed on top of the list and printed in bold red characters for prominence.
- The camera closes in on a book printed in Chinese characters held open under a moving scanning beam.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.