Translation of character in Spanish:
- 1 u and c (of person) 1.1 (temperament, nature) carácter (masculine) the national character el carácter nacional we have very different characters tenemos un carácter muy distinto, tenemos caracteres muy distintos to be in/out of character ser*/no ser* típico rudeness is very much in character for him la mala educación es típica de él or es un rasgo típico en él she's a good judge of character es buena psicóloga 1.2(good character)reputación (feminine) he bears good character tiene buena reputación to vouch for sb's (good) character responder por algn he's been a victim of character assassination han intentado destruir su reputación, ha sido víctima de difamación 1.3 (strength of personality) carácter (masculine), personalidad (feminine) a person of strong character una persona de carácter fuerte, una persona con una personalidad fuerte he lacks character no tiene carácter army life builds character la vida militar imprime carácterExample sentences
- People are going to be amazed at her strength of character and her intellect.
- Many apparently well-balanced people have no strength of character.
- Let's pray my husband has the same courage and strength of character.
- 2 u and c (of place, thing) carácter (masculine) the restaurant has lots of character el restaurante tiene mucho carácter the house has no character la casa no tiene carácter or estilo the characters of the two cities are very different el carácter de las dos ciudades es muy distinto her face is full of character tiene una cara con mucha personalidad the demonstration soon took on the character of a riot la manifestación no tardó en tomar un cariz violentoExample sentences
- Residents were notified of the scheme late last week and claim it will completely change the character of the area.
- Hopefully your personality will fit well with the character and nature of your team.
- Obviously the court must recognise and pay regard to the character and nature of the business in question.
- 3 countable/numerable 3.1 (in novel, play, movie) personaje (masculine), carácter (masculine) (Colombia) (Mexico/México) he doesn't react in character su reacción no es la que cabría esperar de su personaje 3.2 (person) tipo (masculine) [colloquial/familiar] he's an odd/a nasty character es un tipo raro/un mal tipo [colloquial/familiar]Example sentences3.3 (eccentric person) caso (masculine) Jane's a real character Jane es (todo) un caso
- He's a fairly aggressive and tenacious character in business terms.
- Nick is convinced that his story is true, despite earlier doubts and perceptions of Jay as a rather shady character.
- He walked into the debriefing room and was greeted by General Li, a suspicious and shady character.
- 4 countable/numerable (symbol) carácter (masculine) Chinese/Roman characters caracteres chinos/romanosExample sentences
- The abolition of the use of Chinese characters from all public printing and writing helped achieve nationwide literacy at a remarkable speed.
- For a premium, they will also be placed on top of the list and printed in bold red characters for prominence.
- The camera closes in on a book printed in Chinese characters held open under a moving scanning beam.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to