Translation of character in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable and countable (of person) 1.1 (temperament, nature) the national characterwe have very different charactersel carácter nacionalto be in/out of charactertenemos un carácter muy distintotenemos caracteres muy distintosrudeness is very much in character for himser/no ser típicoshe's a good judge of characterla mala educación es típica de él or es un rasgo típico en él1.2es buena psicólogaalso: good characterhe bears good characterto vouch for somebody's (good) charactertiene buena reputaciónhe's been a victim of character assassinationresponder por alguien1.3 (strength of personality) a person of strong characterhan intentado destruir su reputaciónha sido víctima de difamaciónhe lacks characteruna persona de carácter fuerteuna persona con una personalidad fuertearmy life builds characterno tiene carácterla vida militar imprime carácterExample sentences
- People are going to be amazed at her strength of character and her intellect.
- Many apparently well-balanced people have no strength of character.
- Let's pray my husband has the same courage and strength of character.
- 2 uncountable and countable (of place, thing) the restaurant has lots of characterthe house has no characterel restaurante tiene mucho carácterthe characters of the two cities are very differentla casa no tiene carácter or estiloher face is full of characterel carácter de las dos ciudades es muy distintothe demonstration soon took on the character of a riottiene una cara con mucha personalidadla manifestación no tardó en tomar un cariz violentoExample sentences
- Residents were notified of the scheme late last week and claim it will completely change the character of the area.
- Hopefully your personality will fit well with the character and nature of your team.
- Obviously the court must recognise and pay regard to the character and nature of the business in question.
- 3 countable 3.1 (in novel, play, movie) he doesn't react in character3.2 (person) he's an odd/a nasty charactersu reacción no es la que cabría esperar de su personaje3.3 (eccentric person) Jane's a real characteres un tipo raro/un mal tipo [colloquial]Jane es (todo) un casoExample sentences
- He's a fairly aggressive and tenacious character in business terms.
- Nick is convinced that his story is true, despite earlier doubts and perceptions of Jay as a rather shady character.
- He walked into the debriefing room and was greeted by General Li, a suspicious and shady character.
- 4 countable (symbol) Chinese/Roman characterscaracteres chinos/romanosExample sentences
- The abolition of the use of Chinese characters from all public printing and writing helped achieve nationwide literacy at a remarkable speed.
- For a premium, they will also be placed on top of the list and printed in bold red characters for prominence.
- The camera closes in on a book printed in Chinese characters held open under a moving scanning beam.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to