transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (care for, value) [person/friendship] apreciar, valorar to love and to cherish amarse y respetarseMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (cling to) [memory/hope/ideal] conservar, mantener*; [illusion/dream] abrigar*, acariciar
- I couldn't ever deserve him, but Lord knows how much I cherish him and care about him.
- I am, however, relieved to say that I do not instinctively want to protect and cherish her.
- Through the years I have protected you like a brother, cherished you as a friend, and admired you like a suitor.
More example sentences1.3
- We hold on to beliefs as if they were cherished possessions, like trinkets that have sentimental value but no practical use.
- He was a big man who commanded much respect and his advice and wisdom was cherished by those close to the scene.
- He was supportive of many local ventures and his wisdom and sound advice was cherished and respected by all who sought his views.
(cherished past participle of/participio pasado de)preciado a long cherished ambition una ambición albergada durante largo tiempo his most cherished possession su bien más preciado
- While he has given up any hope of her recovering, his wife cherishes the seemingly impossible dream of a miraculous return to health.
- Apart from entertaining audiences, David cherishes the thought that he is actually practicing a very important community activity.
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.