- 1.1 (of house, factory) chimenea (f) to smoke like a chimney [colloquial/familiar] fumar como un carretero or una chimenea [familiar/colloquial] (before n) chimney breast campana (f) de la chimenea chimney pot sombrerete (m) de la chimenea chimney stack fuste (m)More example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (of lamp) tubo (m)
- A small town was nearby as I noticed some stone, slate roofed buildings with smoking chimneys all about.
- Atop the huge craft were, here and there, clusters of brassy and silvery machinery, like boilers and furnaces, with shiny chimneys that belched no smoke, but seemed only to vent a thin steam.
- Images are beamed into the ops center; the towers are smoking like chimneys over the furnaces of Hell.
More example sentences1.3 [Geol] chimenea (f)
- It is also set among some fine church towers and mill chimneys.
- Its weathered wood-shingle walls, brick chimneys and prettily striped canopied windows are set amid the maple, birch and pine clad slopes of the Laurentian mountains.
- today we take a look back at the days when slums, mill chimneys and river docks were a more common sight.
More example sentences
- Add a few drops of ammonia to the rinse water for glass lamps, chimneys, and globes.
- The improved draft system, utilizing a glass chimney, yielded a brighter light that burned more cleanly.
- Candles are an inexpensive and easy-to-store lighting option, but to be safe, use them with glass chimneys.
- An offwidth is a crack which is too wide to use as a finger, hand or fist jam but too narrow to get right inside and climb as a chimney.
- After a short crawl and a climb down a narrow chimney, South Chamber is reached.
- Climb the obvious chimney / groove near the left hand end of the crag, stepping left at the top to finish up the steep wall above on excellent holds.
Browse other language resources
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Cultural fact of the day
Today is a public holiday in Peru (Día de la Independencia)