Translation of claim in Spanish:
- 1 (demand) wage o pay claim demanda (feminine) de aumento salarial, reivindicación (feminine) salarialclaim
forsth my claim for a disability allowance was rejected rechazaron mi solicitud de una prestación por invalidez to put in a claim for expenses presentar una solicitud de reembolso de gastos the company paid o met his claim for compensation in full la compañía pagó la totalidad de la suma que reclamó como indemnización to file a claim presentar una demanda she makes enormous claims on my time me quita muchísimo tiempo
- 2 (to right, title) claim (
tosth) derecho (masculine)( aalgo) they have a legitimate claim to the territory tienen legítimo derecho a reivindicar el territorio como propio I've no claim to expertise in that area no pretendo ser experto en la materia that's her only claim to fame eso es lo único por lo que se destaca to lay claim to sth reivindicar* algo research has a prior claim on available funds la investigación tiene prioridad en la adjudicación de los fondos disponibles she has first claim on my affection es la persona que más quiero
- 3 (allegation) afirmación (feminine) that's a big claim to make eso es mucho decir they ignored her claim that she was being followed afirmó que la seguían pero no le hicieron casoExample sentences
- The claim that professors at the leading law schools tilt to the left is supported by statistics.
- But critics say the claim that the 87,000 who've left are doing well rests on shaky evidence.
- Do you think there is any substance, then, to his claim that his own warnings went ignored?
- 4 (piece of land) concesión (feminine) he staked his claim to the party leadership dejó claro que estaba en la contienda por el liderazgo del partido see also stake1 2 1Example sentences
- The area no longer has any active mines, but there are large tracts of land under claim for placer mining.
- The mining claims or other mining related interest may be affected by the action.
- As a result Chinese were driven off gold mining claims by white miners who had no fear of being arrested.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (assert title to) [throne/inheritance/land] reclamar; [right] reivindicar* to claim diplomatic immunity alegar* inmunidad diplomática they claimed the disputed territory as their own reivindicaron como suyo el territorio en litigio 1.2 (demand, take as one's own) [lost property] reclamar she claimed her rightful place as the world champion ocupó el lugar que le correspondía como campeona mundial the earthquake claimed many lives el terremoto cobró muchas vidas 1.3 [social security/benefits] (apply for) solicitar; (receive) cobrar he's going to claim compensation va a exigir que se lo indemnice, va a reclamar una indemnización she's not entitled to claim these allowances no tiene derecho a (solicitar) estas prestaciones you can claim your expenses back puedes pedir que te reembolsen los gastos
- 2 (allege, profess) no one has claimed responsibility for the attack nadie ha reivindicado el atentado no one can yet claim victory nadie puede cantar victoria todavía I can't claim indifference no puedo pretender que no me importa he claimed (that) he knew nothing about it aseguraba or afirmaba no saber nada de ello he claims their dog bit him dice haber sido mordido por su perroto claim to +
infinitive/infinitivothey claim to have found the cure dicen or aseguran haber encontrado la cura I can't claim to be an intellectual no pretendo ser un intelectual
- 3 [attention/interest] reclamar
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Defensor del pueblo is an ombudsman nominated by the Spanish Parliament to defend the rights of citizens against government maladministration. If he upholds a complaint he advises the administration on appropriate compensation. This post, under the same name, also exists in some Latin American countries.