Translation of coat in Spanish:
- 1 (Clothing)also: overcoat1.1 (for men)abrigo (masculine) or (River Plate area) sobretodo (masculine)(for women)to cut one's coat according to one's cloth (British English)abrigo (masculine) or (River Plate area) tapado (masculine)to trail one's coatvivir según sus ( or mis etc) posibilidadesadaptarse a las circunstanciasto turn o change one's coatbuscar pelea or [colloquial] camorracambiar de chaquetaExample sentences1.2 (jacket)
- Mr. Walker pulled a pair of mittens out of his coat pocket and handed them to me.
- We wore our winter coats and stuffed our pockets with what little bread we had left.
- See this new camera is big and bulky - in winter I put it in my puffy coat pocket and barely even noticed it.
- The new line includes a hunting coat, parka, vest, shirt and pant.
- Like a tailor, he keeps big needles pinned behind the lapel of his coat, a plaid jacket too large for him.
- Personally I think the jackets look like pyjama coats, but they are not my cuppa.
- Key focus continues to be short shift dresses, coats and skirts.
- The next three hours were a blur, as Keira tried on dresses, shirts, coats, skirts, pants, shoes and hats.
- This season's key items are all short, from skirts to dresses and coats.
- 2 (of animals)Example sentences
- For instance, someone who is especially house proud will not want a dog with a long coat which sheds hair all over the furniture.
- Animals with heavy coats, such as Highland cattle and Galloways, were the most prone to problems, he added.
- Believe it or not mathematics explains why animals can have coats with spotted bodies and striped tails but not striped bodies with spotted tails.
- 3 (layer — of paint, varnish)(— of dust)Example sentences
- The env gene codes for a protein on the outer coat of the virus that allows it to recognize and attach to human cells.
- They code for the coat proteins of the two viruses, which are primary targets for the host immune system.
- Finally, all the Ames test strains have defective polysaccharide outer coats, to make them more permeable to the test chemicals.
- They felt it needed a new coat of paint to freshen it up.
- Yet another group applied fresh coats of paint on the panels of windows and doors.
- And how I would love to put a fresh coat of paint on it.
- coated with chocolatecoat the surface with primercubierto de chocolatebañado en chocolatehis tongue was coatedaplique una capa or mano de base a la superficietenía la lengua suciatenía la lengua cubierta de saburra [technical]Example sentences
- It is then coated with a thin layer of white lead on which the outline of the picture is drawn.
- It's as if the camera lens had been coated with a thin layer of Vaseline and hurriedly wiped clean.
- My eyes had been coated with a layer of black mascara and a decent amount of black eyeliner.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the