- 1 1.1 (gather together) he collected some shells on his walkdurante el paseo recogió algunas conchaswe're collecting old clothes for charityestamos juntando ropa usada para una obra benéficawe collected (up) our belongingsrecogimos nuestras cosascould you collect (up) the glasses?¿podrías recoger los vasos?Example sentences1.2 (attract, accumulate) my books are collecting dust
mis libros están acumulando or juntando polvoExample sentences1.3 (earn) [colloquial]
- They shot at anything and everything, except the clays, which were often collected up unscathed and reused.
- This post collects a number of these political discussions.
- We're collecting emergency numbers from the workers today.
sacar(se) [colloquial]I collected around $5,000 this month
- To counter the drain on scarce water supplies, rainwater will be collected in underground tanks and a new breed of wildlife-rich village pond.
- At present rain water is being collected in large storage dams and reticulated to the end consumer via a network of pipes, pumps and treatment plant to ensure drinking water quality.
- Rainwater can be collected in plenty during rainy seasons, but we waste it by allowing it to flow into the sea.
ganarseeste mes (me) saqué como 5.000 dólareshe collected a heavy fine (British English)se ganó una buena multa [colloquial]Example sentences
- Fakhruz Zaman approached Shemon Miah when he called at the Saffron Spice restaurant in Peatmoor on behalf of his father to collect a bill payment from the owner, Swindon Crown Court was told.
- She's moved a few miles away from my patch and asked if I would still collect her payments, because she was used to me calling.
- A few days later he delivers them and collects the payment.
- 2 (as hobby) he collects the work of young unknownscolecciona obras de artistas jóvenes desconocidosExample sentences
- He doesn't have any hobbies - doesn't collect anything or travel anywhere; doesn't read or listen to music.
- Her newest hobby is collecting each of the new Euro coins from each country.
- Mr. G. Sethuraman, an active philatelist who has been collecting stamps since 1974, says this hobby has a high knowledge-gaining potential.
- 3 (fetch, pick up) I collected my suit from the cleaner'srecogí el traje de la tintoreríathey collect the garbage every Mondaytodos los lunes pasan a recoger la basurashe collects her from school every dayla recoge del colegio or la va a buscar al colegio todos los díasI'm collecting Jean on the wayde camino voy a pasar a recoger or a buscar a JeanExample sentences
- Swinford players will be collected up at the Gateway Hotel, Swinford at 8.15 am.
- Meet your coach, collect the right number of departing guests from their hotels and get them to the airport - then do the same in reverse for the arrivals.
- If you want to be one of the DJ's, you need to arrive at the venue at 7: 00 pm to collect your number (more details to follow).
- 1 1.1 (gather, assemble)(people)
congregarseExample sentences1.2 (accumulate)
- Hollin has collected together a range of individuals and collaborators to provide a concise but comprehensive overview of the principles and premises inherent in this area.
- It defines the word assembly as a company of persons collected together in one place usually for a common purpose.
- Since the particles start with zero energy, this means that by the time they have collected together to form a star or a planet they have negative energy.
- 2 (solicit contributions)recaudar dinero
hacer una colectaExample sentences
- The funeral took place this morning at St Peter's Church in Mill Hill where donations were collected for MacMillan Nurses.
- Thankfully a large sum of money has been collected for the Irish Wheelchair Association.
- A nice website has been established in her memory and a charitable trust is collecting donations to support the kinds of causes for which she gave her life.
- (Religion)Example sentences
- However, a new type of short full anthem, often a setting of one of the seasonal collects, gained in popularity after about 1800.
- This kind of evangelism is far more persuasive than simply publishing the world's best book of new collects, calls to worship, or Eucharistic prayers.
- The Australian Prayer Book has a somewhat revised version of the collect found in the ASB 1980.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.