Translation of comb in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (for hair) to go over something with a fine-tooth combexaminar or revisar algo minuciosamente or con lupaExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 (worn in hair)
- This involves lifting the hair with a metal comb and burning off the ends with a lighted taper.
- I quickly brushed my teeth and ran a comb through my hair.
- After breaking another tooth off of my comb, I realized that my hair was the boss.
- Besides the explosion of headbands and jeweled hair combs, watch for a continual rise in the popularity of all types of silk and couture hair flowers.
- No hats, combs, kerchiefs or anything but hair should be on your head.
- ‘Finished,’ I called out and pulled the gold combs out of my hair as he turned back to face me.
- 2 (act) (no plural) your hair needs a good combtienes que peinarte biengive your hair a quick combpásate un peinedate una peinada (esp Latin America)Example sentences
- Giving my hair a quick comb through with my fingers I turned around to see that the door was open.
- With a quick comb of her hair, and the applying of a light coat of make-up and a flowery fragrance, she was out the door.
- I've taken to wearing baseball caps instead of having a slight comb in the morning.
- 3 (for disentangling fibres)carda (feminine)Example sentences
- If a comb was used, this would be to get the fibres parallel.
- 4 (on bird)Example sentences
- Resplendent in bright orange, black and red, his comb, wattles and ear lobes have been shorn off.
- Cracids may have a casque, hard comb, wattle or fleshy knob at the base of the bill.
- As in other grouse species, red grouse combs are larger and brighter in males, and their size is testosterone-dependent.
- 1 1.1 (pass a comb through) to comb somebody's hairpeinar a alguiento comb one's hairpeinarseExample sentences1.2
- For once, his hair had been combed neatly for the occasion.
- Slightly built, with neatly combed gray hair and a trimmed mustache, he looks out at us through thick eyeglasses.
- His hair had been combed neatly and he was wearing a hint of cologne when he outreached his hand for her.
- The fibres damaged the skin on the women's hands if their job was to comb the flax by hand.
- All the literature said you had to ret the fibres and then comb them, basically an industrial process.
- They were made of long wool fibers that were first combed to straighten them, spun tightly then woven in fancy weave structures.
- 2 (search)(files/archives)to comb something
forsomethingthey combed the area for survivors/cluespeinaron or rastrearon la zona en busca de supervivientes/ pistasI combed the newspaper for the storyrepasé el periódico de arriba abajo buscando el artículoExample sentences
- Police are combing the streets, handing out flyers and watching airports and bus terminals.
- Her disappearance provoked a massive public response, and hundreds of police officers combed the city streets.
- I had been combing through the wreckage, searching for anyone that might have survived.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.