transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (praise) [person/work/action] elogiar to commend sb
forsth elogiar a algn poralgo highly commended mención de honor, accésitMore example sentences1.2 (recommend) recomendar* the book has little/much to commend it el libro tiene pocos/muchos méritos to commend sth
- Senior control operators are now looking at the possibility of officially commending Fiona for her efforts.
- Restored Victorian buildings and innovative new designs have been officially commended in a town watchdog's annual awards.
- Fire officers plan to officially commend Jonathan for his bravery.
tosb recomendar(le)* algo aalgn his work did not commend itself to the judges su obra no encontró aceptación entre el juradoMore example sentences
- Cynical consultants would expect the Department of Health to suggest such a move, but it is quite astonishing that the BMA should not just suggest but commend this to us and at standard rates of pay.
- With those few remarks, I commend the revised Standing Orders and the committee's recommendation to this House.
- It is not one that commended itself to the judge originally dealing with the paper application.
- 2 [formal] 2.1 (entrust) to commend sb/sth
tosb encomendar(le)* algn/algo aalgn she commended her soul to God encomendó su alma a Dios 2.2 (in polite formulas) commend me to your family presente mis respetos a su familia [formal]More example sentences
- I commended my soul to God and said in a quaking voice, ‘Yes.’
- And like untold hundreds of men and woman have done throughout the Conference's 57-year history, I closed my eyes, commended my soul to God, and accepted the invitation.
- Mr. O'Neal thanked God for the life of the deceased and the service he rendered and commended his soul to God.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
In Central America and Mexico, the word 'botana' means a small portion of food, olives, peanuts etc, usually served with a drink at parties, bars, or social occasions.