Translation of commend in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (praise)(person/work/action)to commend somebody
forsomethingelogiar a alguienhighly commended poralgoExample sentences1.2 (recommend) the book has little/much to commend it
el libro tiene pocos/muchos méritosto commend something
- Senior control operators are now looking at the possibility of officially commending Fiona for her efforts.
- Restored Victorian buildings and innovative new designs have been officially commended in a town watchdog's annual awards.
- Fire officers plan to officially commend Jonathan for his bravery.
tosomebodyrecomendar(le) algohis work did not commend itself to the judges aalguiensu obra no encontró aceptación entre el juradoExample sentences
- Cynical consultants would expect the Department of Health to suggest such a move, but it is quite astonishing that the BMA should not just suggest but commend this to us and at standard rates of pay.
- With those few remarks, I commend the revised Standing Orders and the committee's recommendation to this House.
- It is not one that commended itself to the judge originally dealing with the paper application.
- 2 [formal] 2.1 (entrust)to commend somebody/something
tosomebodyencomendar(le) alguien/algoshe commended her soul to God 2.2 (in polite formulas)commend me to your family aalguienpresente mis respetos a su familia [formal]Example sentences
- And for this I commend them to their station commander.
- My dear and well beloved father, I commend me to you, doing you to wit that I have but a little while to go and am like within a short time with the grace of God to be delivered of child.
- When her Son saw her and his other friends weeping with a tearful voice he commended her to John.
- I commended my soul to God and said in a quaking voice, ‘Yes.’
- And like untold hundreds of men and woman have done throughout the Conference's 57-year history, I closed my eyes, commended my soul to God, and accepted the invitation.
- Mr. O'Neal thanked God for the life of the deceased and the service he rendered and commended his soul to God.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.