Translation of commend in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (praise)(person/work/action)to commend somebody
forsomethingelogiar a alguienhighly commended poralgoExample sentences1.2 (recommend) the book has little/much to commend it
el libro tiene pocos/muchos méritosto commend something
- Senior control operators are now looking at the possibility of officially commending Fiona for her efforts.
- Restored Victorian buildings and innovative new designs have been officially commended in a town watchdog's annual awards.
- Fire officers plan to officially commend Jonathan for his bravery.
tosomebodyrecomendar(le) algohis work did not commend itself to the judges aalguiensu obra no encontró aceptación entre el juradoExample sentences
- Cynical consultants would expect the Department of Health to suggest such a move, but it is quite astonishing that the BMA should not just suggest but commend this to us and at standard rates of pay.
- With those few remarks, I commend the revised Standing Orders and the committee's recommendation to this House.
- It is not one that commended itself to the judge originally dealing with the paper application.
- 2 [formal] 2.1 (entrust)to commend somebody/something
tosomebodyencomendar(le) alguien/algoshe commended her soul to God aalguienExample sentences2.2 (in polite formulas)commend me to your family
presente mis respetos a su familia [formal]Example sentences
- I commended my soul to God and said in a quaking voice, ‘Yes.’
- And like untold hundreds of men and woman have done throughout the Conference's 57-year history, I closed my eyes, commended my soul to God, and accepted the invitation.
- Mr. O'Neal thanked God for the life of the deceased and the service he rendered and commended his soul to God.
- And for this I commend them to their station commander.
- My dear and well beloved father, I commend me to you, doing you to wit that I have but a little while to go and am like within a short time with the grace of God to be delivered of child.
- When her Son saw her and his other friends weeping with a tearful voice he commended her to John.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.