- 1 1.1 (praise) [person/work/action] elogiar to commend sb
forsth elogiar a algn poralgo highly commended mención de honor, accésitMore example sentences1.2 (recommend) recomendar* the book has little/much to commend it el libro tiene pocos/muchos méritos to commend sth
- Senior control operators are now looking at the possibility of officially commending Fiona for her efforts.
- Restored Victorian buildings and innovative new designs have been officially commended in a town watchdog's annual awards.
- Fire officers plan to officially commend Jonathan for his bravery.
tosb recomendar(le)* algo aalgn his work did not commend itself to the judges su obra no encontró aceptación entre el juradoMore example sentences
- Cynical consultants would expect the Department of Health to suggest such a move, but it is quite astonishing that the BMA should not just suggest but commend this to us and at standard rates of pay.
- With those few remarks, I commend the revised Standing Orders and the committee's recommendation to this House.
- It is not one that commended itself to the judge originally dealing with the paper application.
- 2 [formal] 2.1 (entrust) to commend sb/sth
tosb encomendar(le)* algn/algo aalgn she commended her soul to God encomendó su alma a Dios 2.2 (in polite formulas) commend me to your family presente mis respetos a su familia [formal]More example sentences
- I commended my soul to God and said in a quaking voice, ‘Yes.’
- And like untold hundreds of men and woman have done throughout the Conference's 57-year history, I closed my eyes, commended my soul to God, and accepted the invitation.
- Mr. O'Neal thanked God for the life of the deceased and the service he rendered and commended his soul to God.
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Palacio de Oriente, also known as the Palacio Real, is the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family. The Royal Family now lives in the Palacio de la Zarzuela, on the outskirts of Madrid.