Translation of compare in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (make comparison between) [statement/figures] comparar you can't compare cheap wine and champagne el vino barato y el champán no se pueden comparar to compare sth/sb
too withsth/sb comparar algo/a algn conalgo/algn he compared the handwriting with that on the envelope comparó or cotejó la letra con la del sobre it's tiny compared to your house es pequeñísima comparada con tu casa or en comparación con tu casaExample sentences1.2 (liken) to compare sth/sb
- These estimates of intrusion times may be compared to estimates based on magma supply through dykes.
- The test was compared to one where similar cells were not exposed to such radio waves.
- The wine list, again, was cheap compared to uptown prices and so we settled for a bottle of Brouilly at just under thirty bucks.
tosth/sb comparar algo/a algn conor aalgo/algn she's been compared to Joan of Arc se la ha comparado con or a Juana de ArcoExample sentences
- You might think that this isn't a very good analogy, comparing prisons to a commercial passenger jet.
- I like to use the analogy of comparing a campaign to a car.
- We use things like analogies and say well compare it to how a flower grows, or find a comparison that is an every day common experience that makes sense.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- I liked his last book, but the new one just doesn't compare me gustó su último libro, pero el nuevo no se puede comparar how do the two models compare for speed? en cuanto a velocidad ¿qué diferencia hay entre los dos modelos? the prices compare pretty well no hay mucha diferencia de precioto compare
withsb/sth nothing compares with good home cooking la comida casera no se puede comparar con nada how does this compare with her first novel? ¿qué tal es esta, comparada con su primera novela? the sales figures compare with the best of previous years las cifras de venta son equiparables or comparables a las mejores de los años anteriores your last essays compare favorably with your previous efforts tus últimos trabajos están mejor que los anteriores it compares badly with other models in the same price range desmerece en comparación con otros modelos de precio similar
- [literary/literario] beyond compare sin comparación, incomparable
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In Mexican politics, a prospective party candidate for the presidency is called a tapado. Candidates traditionally emerge from within the party but their identity is not revealed until the candidate is officially declared: they remain tapados (hidden), thus arousing a great deal of speculation. Under the rule of the