Translation of complement in Spanish:
nounAmerican English: /ˈkɑmpləmənt/ British English: /ˈkɒmplɪm(ə)nt/
- 1 1.1complement (
tosomething) 1.2 (Linguistics)Example sentences1.3 (Mathematics) the complement of an angle
el complemento de un ánguloExample sentences
- Complement clauses are subordinate clauses that function as complements of a word: that they were too noisy in She told them that they were too noisy.
- Recall that a verb governs an object, and the head of a phrase governs the complement.
- For many people, ‘feel like’ has become a complex verb that takes sentential complements.
- Likewise, in base 2, the complement of a number is obtained by subtraction from a row of 1's.
- 2 (full number) the orchestra had the full complement of stringsla orquestra contaba con una sección de cuerdas completathe ship's complement (Nautical)la tripulación or dotación completaExample sentences
- This will require a full complement of diplomatic, political and military efforts.
- The cell is then stretched and split into two halves on the framework of microtubules, each half containing a full complement of chromosomes.
- Tetraploids, inheriting a full complement of chromosomes from each parent, and thus having double the normal allowance, occur in nature or can be induced.
transitive verbAmerican English: /ˈkɑmpləˌmɛnt/ British English: /ˈkɒmplɪmɛnt/
- those colors complement each otheresos colores se complementan (entre sí)Example sentences
- This capability complements policy-based management features that allow automated or advised actions, based on conditions detected through advanced diagnostics.
- Riding last year's breakthrough, he's using slightly improved on-base skills to complement his power-speed combination.
- There was something about his personality that lent itself to New York, a stubborn quality that complements a stubborn city.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.