- 1 c and u (civilization) cultura (feminine)More example sentences
More example sentences
- Like Flaubert and Proust, he was the son of a doctor, in that era a profession of wide culture and learning.
- Our customs, culture, and societal structure demands the presence of the father.
- This primarily involves questions about a society's culture, social life, and public sphere.
- If we don't attend to our moral traditions - to our culture - then our society could come apart at the seams.
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (intellectual activity) cultura (feminine) a man of great culture un hombre de gran cultura a person of no culture una persona totalmente inculta, una persona sin ninguna culturaMore example sentences
- Like others, she is also against the misogyny in so much of our popular and intellectual culture.
- Sport, and its relationship with the media, have become key markers of late - 20th century popular culture.
- As so often these days, a study of the past of archaeology throws up revealing insights into modern intellectual culture.
- 3 c and u [Biology/Biología] cultivo (masculine) (before noun/delante del nombre) culture medium caldo (masculine) de cultivoMore example sentences
More example sentences
- Imagine the ability to grow human cells in culture to grow muscle tissue.
- A feature shared by senescent cells in culture and in vivo is shortening of the telomeres.
- Circadian rhythms are known to be exhibited by all peripheral tissues and mammalian cells in culture.
- The vaccine continued to be used for many years, until replaced by a vaccine prepared in cell cultures.
- We presume this reduction reflects dead cells in the mutant cultures, as noted above.
- Slides from the same blood cultures were later prepared for automated analysis.
- 4 uncountable/no numerable [Agric] (of plants) cultivo (masculine); (of animals) cría (feminine)More example sentences
- It is important to buy from a grower who gives you good culture directions for the plant you buy.
- During plant culture, young roots were harvested at the end of the light period on 4-week-old plants.
- A flexible tube connected the bottoms of the two chambers during plant culture, but the tube was blocked during treatments.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Every year the charitable Fundación Príncipe de Asturias makes eight awards in various categories. They are presented by the Príncipe de Asturias, the heir to the Spanish throne, in the Asturian city of Oviedo. The prize includes a monetary reward of 50,000 euros and a sculpture by the Catalan artist Joan Miró. Winners have included: the writers Umberto Eco and Mario Vargas Llosa; the politicians Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat; the organization Médecins sans Frontières; the scientist Stephen Hawking; and the golfer Severiano Ballesteros.