transitive verb -bb-
- to dab something
withsomethingshe dabbed the child's eyes with her handkerchiefdab the stain with a damp clothle secó los ojos al niño con el pañueloto dab somethingfrote suavemente la mancha con un trapo húmedo onsomethingdab a bit of glue on itdab antiseptic on the cutponle una gotita de pegamentodab the stain off with a wet spongedese unos toques de antiséptico en la heridaquite la mancha dándole ligeros toques con una esponja mojadaExample sentences
- The sample - usually blood or cells from inside the cheek - is dabbed on to a stain card and returned to the lab in a tamperproof bag.
- To fragrance your kitchen cabinets and drawers, place a good scent dabbed on a cotton ball into an inconspicuous comer.
- They were black specks in the distance, nothing more than what looked to be dots of blotched ink dabbed on to the bright, clear blue sky.
- 1 1.1 (small amount)(— of cream, paint)a dab of mustard1.2 (pat) See examples:he gave his tie a dab with a damp clothun poquito de mostazase frotó un poco la corbata con un trapo húmedoExample sentences
- Working in random, one-inch sections, take a dab of pliable pomade, and coat and twist hair as you go.
- Not only does a dab of toner refresh the skin, it helps to remove any cleanser that hasn't been properly removed.
- Well, I don't use make up daily, just kohl to line my eyes, and a dab of lipstick.
- Writing between dabs on the forehead with a wet washcloth, she speaks of an ‘inchoate longing’ to visit paradise.
- With every stroke and dab and curve of the brush she was losing a little bit of herself.
- Because Impressionist painters had to work quickly, oil paint was usually put on the canvas in small dabs or short strokes, often with little color mixing.
- 2also: dabs plural(fingerprints)(British English) [slang]huellas (feminine plural) digitales or dactilaresExample sentences
- Campaigners are concerned that thousands of schools have used their money to buy fingerprint scanners to get kids' dabs at registration, at the library counter, and at the canteen checkout.
- The dabs are used to identify pupils in computerised class registers or library systems.
- I would presume that if they found my dabs at the scene of a crime they could match them with the details they acquired at immigration.
- (fish)Example sentences
- Even though this rig is especially good for gurnards, it also proves superbly successful for dabs, plaice, megrim, even small turbot and brill, also haddock, cod and whiting.
- The most common are dragonets, topknots, dabs, plaice and, if you're lucky, the occasional anglerfish and thornback ray.
- These are always the prime spots for bass, dabs and plaice.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.