- 1 (barrier)Example sentences
- The dam raised the water level by 54 feet and created a three-mile-long reservoir holding around 9,000 million gallons.
- By raising the dam, water levels would reach a point where they would flood many of the beach-front properties that sit close to the lake shore.
- He'll test them on Nile crocodiles in South Africa, which are imperiled because changes to a local dam will raise water levels and swamp nesting beaches.
- 2 (reservoir)Example sentences
- Spring rain left dams full as bellies after chips for tea.
- At present rain water is being collected in large storage dams and reticulated to the end consumer via a network of pipes, pumps and treatment plant to ensure drinking water quality.
- When the rains began, the dams were full to the brim.
transitive verb -mm-
construir una presa or (South America) una represa enExample sentences
- Lake Nasser was formed by damming the River Nile.
- In the Soviet era, the Vakhsh River was dammed for irrigation and electric power, and factories were built along its banks.
- This is a reservoir of approximately 800 acres formed by damming the River Wolf.
- 1→ dam1 2 2 (restrain)
- (Zoology)madre (feminine) (de un animal)Example sentences
- However, the present study indicates Longhorns have a significant advantage in calving ease over Red Poll sires for dams calving at 2 yr of age.
- The greatest effect of scours was on young inbred dams; mature outcross dams had a lower incidence of scours.
- Their incorporation into these pedigree herds as suckler dams or resale as in calf cows offers a very lucrative second-hand value.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.