Translation of defend in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 (physically) [country/territory] defender* she knows how to defend herself sabe defenderse to defend sth/sb
from/ againststh/sb defender* algo/a algn dealgo/algnExample sentences
- Heavy guns were put into position on Singapore island to defend it against attack from the sea.
- Frontline, set up three years ago, works to protect and defend human rights workers in danger across the world.
- The Board was set up in 1760 to ‘protect, support and defend the interests and religious rights and customs of the Jewish community in the UK’.
- 2 (verbally) 2.1 [ideal/cause/person] defender* she was quick to defend him salió rápidamente a defenderlo or en su defensa he said nothing to defend himself no dijo nada en su defensa or para defenderse 2.2 [Univ] [thesis] defender*Example sentences
- Everyone adores money, why not the doctors, I asked, in a feeble attempt to defend my colleagues and take the easy way out of a pointless argument.
- So on this occasion I write to defend you out of principle, not likemindedness.
- She seemed speechless, so Carla spoke up to defend her.
- 3 [Law/Derecho] defender* she hired a lawyer to defend her contrató a un abogado para que la defendiera
- 4 [title/reputation] defender*
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 [Law/Derecho] actuar* por la defensa Jones was defending and Smith prosecuting Jones actuaba por la defensa y Smith por la acusaciónExample sentences
- He said private lawyers would also make the trial fairer since the government is the complainant in the case, the prosecutor and at the same time expected to provide lawyers to defend the accused.
- The availability of an action by a client for breach of contract or negligence against his lawyer for the lawyer's conduct in defending or prosecuting a civil or criminal case is limited.
- Many European lawyers refused to defend the accused.
- 2 [Sport/Deporte] he's better at defending juega mejor como defensaExample sentences
- Reigning champion Payne successfully defended his title when he beat the number one seed Jonathan Clark, to whom he had lost 3-2 on the only previous occasion the pair had met.
- A thrilling finish saw Hardy Eustace successfully defend his Champion Hurdle title, edging out Harchibald and Brave Inca on the line.
- If the champions are to defend their title successfully then there can be simply no more days like these.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Bonoloto is a Spanish state lottery established in 1988. The others are the Lotería Nacional and the Lotería Primitiva. As with the Lotería Primitiva six numbers are marked on a ticket showing forty-nine numbers and win the main prize if all the numbers come up in the draw.