- to derive something
fromsomethingshe derives a deep serenity from her faithsu fe le proporciona una gran serenidadchildren can derive great enjoyment from the simplest thingslas cosas más simples pueden dar enorme placer a un niñowe can derive little comfort from the fact that he didn't spend everythingque no se lo haya gastado todo no es un gran consuelothe revenues derived from this activitylos beneficios que se obtienen de esta actividadthe book derives its prestige from the accuracy of its analysisel libro debe su prestigio a la rigurosidad de su análisispenicillin is derived from moldla penicilina se obtiene (a partir) del mohothe name is derived from the Greekel nombre viene or deriva del griegoExample sentences
- The Africanized sources were derived from colonies obtained locally.
- This organization can derive its power from a number of sources, both economic and non-economic.
- He did repeatedly make clear that his story was derived from what his source said.
- 1 (stem from)to derive
dealgo(idea)the characters in the film derive from real life
tener su origen
enalgolos personajes de la película están basados en seres realesExample sentences
- The word Islam itself, meaning submission to God, derives from the Arabic root word salama, which means peace.
- This process was called retting (a name which, unsurprisingly, derives from the same root as rot).
- Similarly, dishevelled comes from the Old French deschevelé and was not derived from a word shevelled.
- Yet another source of public confusion derives from psychologists themselves.
- A major source of agricultural income derives from wine production.
- But it would be a long time before you came up with a source of happiness that derived from the beneficence of government.
- 2 (Linguistics)to derive
- In this theory, a passive was no longer to be derived from an active sentence, but both from a common deep structure which was neither active nor passive.
- Formal idioms are idiomatic in the sense just stated - their properties cannot be derived from more general principles.
- What kind of rule(s) are needed to derive passive sentences?
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.