- 1.1 [formal](place)
huir deExample sentences1.2
- Naturally, they must drive along a virtually deserted country road.
- We get long, panoramic shots of night-time Paris - rooftops, deserted streets, empty bars and restaurants.
- His door flung open to find an empty couch and deserted living room.
desertar deExample sentences1.3 (fail) his courage deserted him
su valor lo abandonóExample sentences
- Was such a party bound to desert its essential core of supporters, they working class, in its attempt to secure the votes and support of others?
- But now is not the time to desert the Labour Party, now is the time to reclaim it.
- In Germany, opinion polls have indicated that traditional voters are profoundly disillusioned with the Party and are deserting it in droves.
- That these qualities could desert him so spectacularly at the club's training ground in the face of one legitimate question is revealing, if not even alarming.
- Your lucky number has deserted you and eaten your dignity.
- When the wind hit her as she rounded the top bend, her form and speed deserted her.
- 1.1 (Geography)(before noun) (region/climate)
desértico(tribe/sand)1.2 (desolate place, state)
del desiertoExample sentences
- The world sees the desert as a desolate land offering only hardship and discomfort.
- The land was mostly flat and featureless; even the most desolate of the southern deserts had some rolling sand dunes and some cacti.
- His explorations, surveys and reports, which stated that the north had some excellent pastoral lands and were not just arid sands and saline deserts, attracted pastoralists to the area.
- There's a thriving energy and excitement about, and the whole perception of the town as a cultural desert is so wrong.
- Within three years, they hope the area will have at least two major arts projects and a host of neighbourhood events which will ensure that huge swathes of planned new homes do not become a cultural desert.
- Image and virtual reality are everything these days, explaining why the city, burdened with an inferiority complex, forever sees itself as a cultural desert.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.