Translation of detect in Spanish:
- 1 (notice, perceive)(object/substance)they detected the presence of …
detectardetectaron la presencia de …I detected a note of sarcasm in his voice
se advirtió la presencia de …noté cierto tonillo sarcástico en su vozExample sentences
- As soon as the immune system detects the presence of a pathogen it mounts a response to kill it, which is highly successful in most cases in healthy people.
- In truth, she had thought that they would have detected each other's presence sooner.
- If he detects the presence of drugs on someone we could then go ahead and search them.
- Mr Hutchence says staff first detected a faint smell the day before - but on Wednesday it was much stronger.
- I could barely detect the horseradish in the creamy bed of mashed potato, a more generous grating would have perked it up.
- She fancied for a moment that she could detect the faint rusty smell of hot steel.
- 2 (discover)(crime/criminal)
- The system had to be radically reformed to detect murder, medical error and neglect.
- We want to prevent the crimes and detect those that have already been committed.
- Even the fact that there is the ability to detect murder before it is committed is a complex issue.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.