- 1 1.1 (stop living)(violently) matarsehe died of cancer
morir(se) murió de cáncerhe died in the warmurió en la guerrahe died in an accidentmurió or se mató en un accidentehe died a happy manmurió felizExample sentences1.2 (be overcome) [colloquial]
morirseto die of boredom/embarrassmentmorirse de aburrimiento/vergüenzato die laughingmorirse de risaI nearly died!casi me mueroExample sentences1.3 (want very much) [colloquial]to be dying
- In fact, I can't recall any account of an oak tree actually dying from old age; it may be that they go on and on, changing form and surviving until some accident destroys them.
- The fish farmers had to stop their activities, as their fish and shrimp died from the pollution.
- How many people have seen a fox dying from lead shot poisoning?
- I had a look at the Gleaner's cartoon just now and I nearly died laughing!
- I nearly died, as I thought it would be included in web diary but not so prominently.
- I remember drinking with a friend who was wearing a Golden Bear polo shirt; well, I mean, I nearly died.
forsomethingmorirseI was dying for a drink poralgome moría de sedto be dying to + infinitivemorirseshe's dying to meet you por+ infinitive
morirse de ganas de +
infinitivese muere por conocerte
se muere de ganas de conocerteExample sentences
- It is typical of Plazas's professionalism and realism that she is reluctant to advertise a wish list of roles she is dying to tackle.
- I knew you were dying to ask me that important question.
- Actually, I ran out to conduct a chair lift demonstration for our salesman M.K. and his buddies who were dying to see how the whole set-up worked.
- 2 2.1 (cease to exist)(love/hatred)their memory will never die
morirnunca los olvidaremoshis secret died with himse llevó el secreto a la tumbathe smile died on his lipsse le borró la sonrisa de los labiosold habits die hardlas viejas costumbres no se pierden fácilmenteExample sentences2.2 (be extinguished)
- After the song died down, there was a loud applause and a lot of cheers from the crowd.
- Friday was a bit of a false start as the contractions, if that is indeed what they were died away on Saturday.
- It seems to have died down now that the song's popularity has waned.
extinguirseExample sentences2.3 (stop functioning)
- The fires are dying; other figures are spotted, hard to distinguish amongst the wisps of vapour that drift across the scene.
- When the last of the natural light had died I heard Mathias' voice boom out through the night sky like the last guest trying to hail a cab home.
- I am left alone, to wake and guard, until the seven fires die, and the fire in the pit also goes out.
dejar de funcionarExample sentences
- If your engine dies in your car, you slow down and stop.
- The engine died as he pulled into the spot and the transmission made a horrible, grinding noise as he shifted into park.
- I took a deep breath and pulled over to park, but before I did the engine just died.
(anger/indignation)her voice died away
su voz se fue apagando
su voz se fue extinguiendo [literary]
irse extinguiendo [literary]
noun plural dicePronunciation: /daɪs/
- 1 (Games) the die is cast to shoot or (British) play (at) dice to load the dicecargar los dadosas straight as a diederecho hasta decir bastano dice (US) can you lend me 500 bucks? — no dice!¿me prestas 500 dólares? — ¡ni hablar! or ¡ni lo sueñes!I tried to fix it, but (it was) no dicetraté de arreglarlo, pero no hubo maneratraté de arreglarlo, pero ni modotraté de arreglarlo, pero no hubo caso (Latin America)Example sentences
- Basically players each choose a team of 5 dice, and take turns throwing a die onto the table.
- Each set replaces a single die in a normal (with the predator dice) game of Bongo.
- To include only a single die in a game that required rolling two or three at the same time would be astounding.
- 2plural diesPronunciation: /daɪz/(Technology) 2.1 (block) 2.2 (mold)Example sentences
- In another metalworking arena, Fantesk may one day be used to lubricate dies, which shape sheet metal into objects such as automobile roofs.
- In the sealing module, seal grids can be snapped in and out of the sealing-grid die to change the shape of the package seal.
- It's fairly easy to grind metal out of a die, but putting it back in presents a real problem.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.