Translation of discredit in Spanish:
- 1 (show to be false)(theory)to be discredited
desacreditarestar desacreditadoExample sentences
- In its most common form, this fallacy attempts to discredit an idea or belief by associating it with an undesirable person or a group.
- Can we expect to defeat terrorism without also discrediting the ideas and passions that underlie it?
- After all, why not attempt to discredit a person's thoughts when you have nothing to go with?
- 2 (damage reputation of)Example sentences
- She wanted the President to believe in her innocence, and that she loves the country and she would never do anything to harm or discredit the citizens..
- The defendants engineered an ulterior motive to discredit the claimant's reputation by writing maliciously about him in the practice teacher's report.
- It may be an invention to discredit his posthumous reputation and supporters.
- 1 1.1 uncountable (disgrace) to bring something/somebody into discreditdesacreditar or desprestigiar algo/a alguiento bring discredit on o upon somebody/somethingtraer el descrédito a alguien/algoto be/redound to the discredit of somebody/something [formal]ir/redundar en descrédito de alguien/algoExample sentences1.2 (object of disgrace) (no plural) to be a discredit
- Within a month he was accused of ‘conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the military service,’ and his trial began in Washington.
- And if so, then that clearly is the sort of behavior that does bring discredit upon the House and ought to be basis for some action by the Ethics Committee.
- He brings discredit upon himself by using this publication as a forum for his whining.
tosomebody/somethingser una vergüenza paraalguien/algoExample sentences
- The party councillor, also supporting the no confidence motion, said: ‘It is a discredit to the whole chamber.’
- What a discredit to teachers he is.
- It is a discredit to the struggle of the people and a severe slap at the peaceful religion movement.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.