Translation of discredit in Spanish:
- 1.1 (show to be false)(theory)to be discreditedestar desacreditadoExample sentences1.2 (damage reputation of)
- In its most common form, this fallacy attempts to discredit an idea or belief by associating it with an undesirable person or a group.
- Can we expect to defeat terrorism without also discrediting the ideas and passions that underlie it?
- After all, why not attempt to discredit a person's thoughts when you have nothing to go with?
- She wanted the President to believe in her innocence, and that she loves the country and she would never do anything to harm or discredit the citizens..
- The defendants engineered an ulterior motive to discredit the claimant's reputation by writing maliciously about him in the practice teacher's report.
- It may be an invention to discredit his posthumous reputation and supporters.
- 1 1.1 uncountable (disgrace) to bring something/somebody into discreditto bring discredit on o upon somebody/somethingdesacreditar or desprestigiar algo/a alguiento be/redound to the discredit of somebody/something [formal]traer el descrédito a alguien/algo1.2 (object of disgrace) (no plural) to be a discreditir/redundar en descrédito de alguien/algo
tosomebody/somethingser una vergüenza paraalguien/algoExample sentences
- The party councillor, also supporting the no confidence motion, said: ‘It is a discredit to the whole chamber.’
- What a discredit to teachers he is.
- It is a discredit to the struggle of the people and a severe slap at the peaceful religion movement.
- Within a month he was accused of ‘conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the military service,’ and his trial began in Washington.
- And if so, then that clearly is the sort of behavior that does bring discredit upon the House and ought to be basis for some action by the Ethics Committee.
- He brings discredit upon himself by using this publication as a forum for his whining.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to