Translation of discredit in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1.1 (show to be false) [theory] desacreditar to be discredited estar* desacreditadoExample sentences1.2 (damage reputation of) desacreditar, desprestigiar
- In its most common form, this fallacy attempts to discredit an idea or belief by associating it with an undesirable person or a group.
- Can we expect to defeat terrorism without also discrediting the ideas and passions that underlie it?
- After all, why not attempt to discredit a person's thoughts when you have nothing to go with?
- She wanted the President to believe in her innocence, and that she loves the country and she would never do anything to harm or discredit the citizens..
- The defendants engineered an ulterior motive to discredit the claimant's reputation by writing maliciously about him in the practice teacher's report.
- It may be an invention to discredit his posthumous reputation and supporters.
- 1 1.1 uncountable/no numerable (disgrace) descrédito (masculine) to bring sth/sb into discredit desacreditar or desprestigiar algo/a algn to bring discredit on o upon sb/sth traer* el descrédito a algn/algo to be/redound to the discredit of sb/sth [formal] ir*/redundar en descrédito de algn/algo 1.2 (object of disgrace) (no plural/sin plural) to be a discredit
tosb/sth ser* una vergüenza paraalgn/algo
- 2 uncountable/no numerable (doubt, disbelief) to throw o cast discredit on sth poner* algo en tela de juicio
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The Premios Goya del cine español is the Spanish equivalent of Oscars, awarded in January every year by the AACC (Academia de las Artes y las Ciencias Cinematográficas de España). The winners receive a bust of the painter Goya.