- (British)profesor universitario (profesora universitaria) (masculine, feminine) (esp en Oxford y Cambridge)Example sentences
- He worked easily with the many newcomers into his department, most of them university dons.
- The indication that Oxford might have to consider implementing similar measures has been greeted with caution by University officials, dons, and students alike.
- As a don at the local university, he reviewed regularly for the Glasgow Herald.
transitive verb present participle donning past tense, past participle donned
- 1 (put on) [literary]ponerseExample sentences
- At his urging, I donned protective clothing and headed off in search of this tragic new affliction.
- But he was nevertheless disgruntled that he himself would not be donning the shirt.
- Most fans are content with donning a replica shirt and attending the odd game.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.