- 1 u 1.1 (any liquid) bebida (f) food and drink comida y bebidaMore example sentences
More example sentences1.2 (alcohol) bebida (f) to drive sb/to take to drink llevar a algn/darse* a la bebida it's enough to drive you to drink! [humorístico/humorous] ¡te saca de quicio! to be the worse for drink estar* bebido (before n) he has a drink problem (BrE) bebe demasiado
- Visitors will also be able to relax with a refreshing drink and snack in the dining room.
- It is important to avoid constantly snacking on sugary foods or sipping fizzy drinks.
- However, if you enjoy the taste of herbs as a garnish to your food, why not enjoy their refreshing and health-giving properties in refreshing summer drinks.
More example sentences
- She took a long drink of water, swallowing it slowly as she looked around the courtyard.
- Cliff nodded, washing down his mouthful with a drink of pale liquid that smelled heavily of mangos.
- She was distressed and had to be given several drinks of water.
- He told the meeting that there would be no consumption of drink at the museum.
- Like many successful Irish events, Dublin football games are bound up with the vast consumption of drink.
- He describes the extravagant body language, the noise, the excessive consumption of food and drink.
- 2 c 2.1 (amount drunk, served, sold) have a drink of water/milk bebe or (esp AmL) toma un poco de agua/leche I'm thirsty, may I have a drink? tengo sed ¿me das algo de beber or (esp AmL) para tomar? would you like a hot drink? ¿quieres beber or (esp AmL) tomar algo caliente? cold drinks bebidas frescas (before n) drinks dispenser o machine expendedor (m) automático de bebidas, máquina (f) de bebidas 2.2 (alcoholic) copa (f), trago (m) [familiar/colloquial] to have a drink tomar una copa the drinks are on me! ¡yo invito! to go for a drink salir* a tomar una copa, salir* a tomar algo we're invited for drinks nos han invitado a tomar algo or a tomar unas copas (before n) drinks cabinet mueble-bar (m) drinks party cóctel (m)More example sentences
More example sentences
- The bartender poured a drink into a shot glass, and gave it to him.
- There are a number of young people who think that if they drink out of a bottle rather than a glass, their drink will not be spiked.
- Smith, the mother of a young son, had been persuaded to go for a drink and thought a glass of wine would leave her system in an hour.
- She was known as a ‘forgiving’ boat, allowing her crew to make mistakes without tossing them into the drink.
- When I stepped off my boat I found that after weeks at sea I could hardly stand - as soon as I stepped onto the jetty I almost fell straight backwards into the drink again.
- Me and Keith got caught by an alarmingly large gust of wind and ended up in the drink.
vt (past drank past p, drunk)
- [beverage/wine] beber, tomar (esp AmL) give me something to drink dame algo de beber or (esp AmL) para tomar they drank the bar dry se lo bebieron or (esp AmL) tomaron todo I'll drink your good health ¡a tu salud! to drink a toast to sb brindar por algnMore example sentences
- I can distinctly remember wondering how anyone could bring themselves to drink this disgusting liquid.
- He nodded wordlessly and then thirstily drank the water she offered.
- He added that his greatest concern was about how they would be able to persuade Johnny to drink liquids after his procedure.
v refl (past drank past p, drunk)
vi (past drank past p, drunk)
- 2 2.1 (consume alcohol) beber, tomar (AmL) I don't drink no bebo, no tomo (alcohol) (AmL) don't drink and drive si tomas, no manejes (AmL) , si bebes, no conduzcas (Esp) drinking and driving (BrE) drunk driving 2.2 (toast) to drink
tosb brindar poralgn let us drink to our hostess brindemos por nuestra anfitriona they drank to his health brindaron por su salud, bebieron a su salud I'll drink to that! ¡brindo por que así sea!More example sentences
- We can save a small fortune by simply dropping bad habits like smoking, drinking and gambling.
- It plans to target a core group of 15 homeless people with chronic alcohol problems who drink on the city's streets.
- Ryan said he spent much of the time drinking and had consumed eight or nine pints and a number of shorts.