Translation of element in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (component part) elemento (masculine) it may be an element in her decision puede que haya sido un elemento or factor que influyera en su decisión the element of surprise el factor sorpresaExample sentences1.2 (small amount) an element of chance/doubt/sarcasm algo de suerte/duda/sarcasmo there's an element of truth in what he says hay algo de verdad en lo que dice 1.3 (distinct group of people) elemento (masculine), grupo (masculine) lawless/extremist elements in society elementos (masculine plural) rebeldes/extremistas de la sociedad
- All the elements of a good dark comedy are here: a murder, a dysfunctional family, someone in a clown suit and so on - but they should be tweaked further.
- There are all the elements of dance and theatre combined with the visceral thrill of watching metal meet metal again and again until, finally, metal meets actor.
- But it was also the subject of prosecutions under orthodox 19th century criminal law, all the elements of which survive.
(elements plural)(rudiments) the basic elements of self-defense los principios elementales de la defensa personal we have the elements of an agreement/a solution tenemos las bases de un acuerdo/una solución
- There has even been speculation that some rogue elements within the British Army tried to sabotage Stevens' light aircraft last year.
- I don't rule out that some rogue elements within, say, one unit might misbehave, but that does not make it at all a policy.
- Muslim leaders in Britain agree that there are extremist elements within their communities but they disagree on how to tackle them.
- 2 2.1 [Chemistry/Química] elemento (masculine) 2.2 (earth, air, fire, water) elemento (masculine) the four elements los cuatro elementosExample sentences
- It was a story he recognised could only be told in terms of the four fundamental elements: earth, air, fire, water.
- She controlled the four master elements: Fire, Water, Earth and Air.
- I believe that there are four elements: earth, fire, water, and air.
- He called atoms of the second group isotopes, atoms of the same element with different atomic weights.
- Early in 1999 synthesis of the element with atomic number 114 was reported.
- He postulated that all the atoms of the same element have the same atomic mass, while the atoms of a different element have a different atomic mass.
- 3(elements plural)(weather) [literary/literario] the elements los elementos to brave the elements enfrentarse a (la furia de) los elementosExample sentences
- In the first part of the second half both sides had to defy the elements of wind and rain storms.
- Life is still much the same: a constant battle against the elements, as wind and sleeting rain batter the coal-mining land to black slush and mud.
- Palmer and his associates struggle through the elements wrapped in heavy furs, their breath freezing in the air.
- 4 (preferred environment) elemento (masculine) politics/the outdoors is her natural element la política/la vida al aire libre es lo suyo or es su elemento to be in one's element estar* en su ( or mi etc) elemento, estar* como pez en el aguaExample sentences
- Larkham was in his element in his country's victory over Romania as he constantly probed for breaks against a brittle defence.
- I do believe he was in his element last night as a country singer, but his performance just really annoyed me.
- He used to sit in the pub in Greek Street, next to our office, surrounded by admirers, and he was in his element.
- 5 (of kettle, heater) resistencia (feminine), elemento (masculine) (Southern Cone/Cono Sur)Example sentences
- An electric-resistance water heater has electric heating elements submerged in a storage tank.
- The spokesman said preliminary investigations showed that overheated wires in a heater element, and an overloaded thermostat, may have been the cause.
- They can - and will need to be - repaired over and over, mostly replacing the wire heating element and thermostat.
- 6(elements plural)[Religion/Religión] the elements las especies eucarísticas or sacramentalesExample sentences
- Both the consecrated elements and the church simply are the body of Christ.
- The non-divine, but human-made Eucharistic elements of bread and wine can affect only the material body.
- It is a sacred meal in which the minister consecrates the elements by asking God to set them apart from their normal and common uses.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the