Translation of establish in Spanish:
- 1 1.1(colony/community/company)
fundar(bridgehead)his father established him in business
establecersu padre lo ayudó a establecerse en los negociosExample sentences1.2
(criteria/procedure)to establish a precedent
- Beatrice, a former director of a market research company, had just established her own firm.
- He left the security of permanent employment to establish a sports centre in Melbourne.
- It will be the first licensed international brokerage firm to be established in Abu Dhabi.
establecersentar (un) precedenteto establish diplomatic relationsestablecer relaciones diplomáticasthe army was sent to establish orderse enviaron efectivos del ejército para imponer el ordenExample sentences
- He has firmly established himself as a young goalkeeper with a big future.
- The gold was won by Christian Olsson, the Swede, who has firmly established himself as Jonathan Edwards's heir.
- During that time she has established herself as an accomplished broadcaster, capable of dealing with the most delicate and difficult news stories.
- 2 2.1 (cause people to accept) she saw it as a way of establishing her authoritylo veía como una manera de dejar sentado que era ella quien mandabahe soon established a reputation as a womanizerpronto se ganó la fama de ser un donjuán2.2 (prove)Example sentences2.3 (ascertain)
(motive/fact/identity)we're trying to establish where/what/how …
- The firm's research had established that 75 retailers had requirements for space in York, some of whom would want to come into the city from outside.
- Research firmly establishes a link between a country's increased trade and economic well-being.
- Research has firmly established the link between social function and pathological outcomes.
establecerestamos tratando de establecer or de determinar dónde/qué/cómo …
- to establish oneself 1.1 (become successful, secure)establecersehe established himself in the legal professionse hizo un nombre or se estableció en el mundo jurídicohe quickly established himself as the office clownpronto se ganó la fama de ser el bufón de la oficinashe's established herself in our housese ha instalado en nuestra casa1.2(idea/tendency)
- I am also grateful to my sister for her liaison with indigenous education colleagues, and for establishing some of my contacts in Adelaide.
- Some teachers would make an initial effort to establish communication and then would lessen their efforts.
- But once contact had been established, the information given was both speedy and accurate.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.