transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 [nerve/wire/wound] exponer* to expose sth
tosth exponer* algo aalgo 1.2 (subject) to expose sth/sb ( tosth) exponer* a algo/algn ( aalgo) the soldiers were exposed to danger los soldados se vieron expuestos al peligro to expose oneself to criticism/ridicule/danger exponerse* a las críticas/al ridículo/al peligroExample sentences
- Their lack of knowledge and the context for much of the knowledge they are exposed to shapes their world.
- ‘We lived in the Mount Baker area so she could be exposed to diverse socioeconomic communities,’ said her father.
- Each day had something new for the children, exposing them to various knowledge inputs.
- 2 2.1 [secret/scandal/crime] poner* al descubierto, sacar* a la luz; [inefficiency/weaknesses] poner* en evidencia 2.2 [criminal/swindler] desenmascararExample sentences
- Suddenly he is exposed as just another coach.
- But just before 1.15 pm on Wednesday, the Prime Minister was exposed as either a liar or an incompetent.
- He was exposed as a man who thinks so little of the ethics of high office that he lobbied on ministerial letterhead to get his son off a traffic offence.
- Will the results of such an investigation even be exposed to public view?
- Losing the vote would not mean the end of his government, but would be an embarrassment and expose the fissures within the 20-party ruling coalition.
- An inclination to tyranny has seldom been so readily exposed by a public figure.
- 3 [Photography/Fotografía] exponer*Example sentences
- I mainly use the meter setting of 3200 at the camera to expose the film.
- In the traditional darkroom, a photographer makes a print by projecting light through the original piece of film, which exposes the paper.
- Some images are printed using the Lightjet, a digital enlarger that exposes photographic paper with red, green and blue lasers.
- 4 (exhibit) [goods/pictures] exponer*Example sentences
- Most anywhere on the long expanse of the north shore side of the Cape which uncovers at low tides to expose sand flats can be productive.
- It consisted of a lavender shirt that draped off the shoulders, exposing them completely, and it was very low cut.
- The low quality fish they dry on sand, exposing it to birds and animals, may not bring them good revenue.