Translation of fact in Spanish:
- 1 countable/numerable (sth true) hecho (masculine) the fact that she didn't mention it el hecho de que no lo mencionara the fact of her coming here shows … el (hecho de) que haya venido demuestra … the fact is that she is a great writer el hecho or lo cierto es que es una gran escritora if it wasn't for the fact that he's my son … si no fuera porque es mi hijo … I know for a fact that … sé a ciencia cierta que … it's a well-known fact todo el mundo lo sabe it cost $5,000 — is that a fact? costó 5.000 dólares —¡no me diga! our magazine gives you all the facts and figures on sport en nuestra revista encontrará la información deportiva más completa she got her facts right/wrong su información era correcta/incorrecta what are the facts of the case? ¿qué se sabe en concreto sobre el caso? I want hard facts quiero datos concretos the facts about Hollywood are as fascinating as the legends la verdad or realidad de Hollywood es tan fascinante como la leyenda to face (the) facts aceptar la realidadExample sentences
- So go and see it with your own eyes and discover for yourself if it is an historical fact.
- It is a sad fact that when a litter of pigs is born, it is quite normal to have one or two born dead.
- It is a fact that most of those who are on the street have an addiction to drugs or alcohol.
- 2 2.1 uncountable/no numerable (truth, reality) this novel is based on fact esta novela está basada en hechos reales fact or fiction? ¿realidad o ficción? in fact de hecho, en realidad she wasn't pleased; in fact she was extremely angry no le hizo mucha gracia; de hecho or en realidad se puso furiosa as a matter of fact I do know her, as a matter of fact she's one of my best friends sí que la conozco, (de hecho) es muy amiga mía I don't suppose you have it — as a matter of fact I do me imagino que no lo tendrás — pues sí lo tengo in point of fact de hecho the fact of the matter is (that) … el hecho es que … 2.2 countable/numerable (criminal event) [Law/Derecho] before/after the fact antes/después de los hechosExample sentences
- The Ombudsman is the sole judge of fact and he can only be corrected on errors of law.
- We would then have an opportunity for questions on a point of fact or a clarification.
- If the comment amounts to a statement of fact then it must be proved to be true or privileged.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Havana, Cuba has three daily newspapers. The best known is Granma(www.granma.cubaweb.cu), official newspaper of the Cuban Communist Party. Trabajadores is published by the Cuban trade union movement, and the more lively Juventud Rebelde is aimed at a younger readership.