Translation of fasten in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (attach)(tie) atar(stick) pegarto fasten on a button/labelpegar un botón/una etiqueta1.2 (do up, close)(case)
abrochar(laces)fasten your belt
amarrar ( (Latin America) exc (River Plate area) )abróchate el cinturónfasten the door/windowéchale el cerrojo a la puerta/ventanaExample sentences
- She made sure his seatbelt was securely fastened before closing the door on him.
- Lydia fastened the cloth door closed and took inventory of the room.
- Once I had fastened the seatbelt and closed the door, Jason flicked a small switch on the dashboard, and the machine roared to life.
- A blue plaque fastened into the wall publicises the office's past as the dining room in the home of journalist Henry Morton Stanley.
- We drove home with a green boat perched atop a white wooden box of camping gear, fastened to a blue Volkswagen.
- Chell's white wraparound skirt, reaching from beneath her arms to her ankles and fastened at the back, was pulled in by a blue sash around her waist.
- 2 (fix) to fasten the blame on somebodyecharle or endilgarle la culpa a alguienExample sentences
- She was fastening some of her hair up with glittery clips while the rest cascaded down her neck and back.
- She was at the vanity, fastening her pale blonde hair into a bun that was already unraveling.
- I made my way to the bathroom where I fished through piles of hair accessories until I found my giant clip with which I fastened my hair in a French twist.
- Realising that he wasn't getting any money from me, he began to glance away, and fastened his eyes on a wallet that a gentleman who passed us had in his hand.
- What I did do, I noticed, was to keep a very beady eye on him from across the room: waiting to see what kind of man he fastened his attentions on this time.
- He sat down carefully, and fastened his eyes on his glass desktop.
- (door/case)this belt won't fasten
cerrareste cinturón no abrocha
- they fastened onto the idea straight away
enseguida entendieron la ideahe had fastened on(to) poor Anna
se le había pegado a la pobre Anna [colloquial]the press fastened onto that one statement
la prensa se centró exclusivamente en esa afirmaciónonce he fastens on(to) a plan, there's no changing his mind
cuando se le mete un plan en la cabeza, no hay quien lo haga cambiar de opinión
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.