Translation of finish in Spanish:
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- 1 1.1 (complete) [task/meal/building] terminar, acabar she finishes high school in two years' time acabará or terminará el bachillerato dentro de dos años we finish school/work at four o'clock today hoy salimos a las cuatro let her finish what she's doing/saying déjala terminar or acabar lo que está haciendo/de hablar to finish
-ingterminar or acabar de+ infinitive/infinitivohe hasn't finished painting it yet todavía no ha terminado or acabado de pintarloExample sentences1.2 (consume) [drink/loaf/rations] terminar, acabar we've finished our stock of coal se nos ha terminado or acabado el carbón
- Co-ordination work has started and a task force will finish a feasibility study for the whole project by the end of this year.
- After she had finished the required tasks she got right down to work on getting to know the dogs.
- He added: ‘I definitely want to be a professional musician once I finish my studies.’
- After the meat was finished off, both Silhi and I laid on our backs and looked up at the sky.
- He was sad to read in the newspapers about a retired high school teacher having to hop from table to table in a food outlet to finish the leftovers on the plates.
- We discovered that we all had a horror of wasting food, and would finish a dish rather than throw it in the bin.
- 2 2.1 (create surface texture on) [cloth/porcelain] terminar; [wood] pulir 2.2 (add final touches to) [product/clothes] terminar, acabarExample sentences
- The fuselage appears to be painted in olive green while the flying surface appears to be finished in silver.
- Drywall can be difficult for a novice to finish to a smooth surface.
- Take the same care in cleaning and preparing a surface to be stained as you would in finishing it.
- 3 (destroy) [colloquial/familiar] [person/career/project] acabar con the scandal finished him as a politician el escándalo acabó con su carrera política the last few laps finished her las últimas vueltas acabaron con ellaExample sentences
- I will finish Naylor if it kills me, or a few innocent bystanders.
- He has just about finished things off by destroying trust and honour.
- She didn't resist when Xienna grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and propelled her out of the dormitory at high speed, but part of her screamed at her for not finishing the boy.
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo
- 1 (come to end) [course/performance/work] terminar, acabar the reading finished with a poem by Keats el recital terminó con un poema de Keats she finished by summarizing the main points again concluyó resumiendo de nuevo los puntos principalesExample sentences
- Not only was his season finished, but the future of his playing days was in serious jeopardy.
- One of them had spent hours working with Sherry in Australia each day after training had finished.
- Did I mention that I have jury duty coming up straight after the summer semester finishes?
- 3 [Sport/Deporte] to finish first/second/last terminar en primer/segundo/último lugar to finish well/badly acabar bien/malExample sentences
- Four weeks later he made his competitive debut, finishing 32nd in a race in Austria.
- Isaac McCann consolidated his overall third place in the under-13 race finishing in third place in 10.25 sec.
- Emmett ran a good race to finish in fifth place with a ‘Personal Best’ of 4 minutes 2 seconds.
- Australia could have had two goals since Brazil scored if they could finish!
- He is excellent on drives and can finish at the goal or score on runners and pull-up jumpers.
- We played the sort of rugby we have been aiming for, and I think with a bit of improved finishing we could have scored a few more tries.
- 1 (no plural/sin plural) 1.1 (end) fin (masculine), final (masculine) from start to finish del principio al fin or al final to be in at the finish presenciar el final to fight to the finish luchar hasta el final or el fin a fight to the finish una lucha a muerte 1.2 (of race) llegada (feminine) it was a very close finish llegaron a la meta casi a la par 1.3 (ruin) the finish el fin or el final, el golpe de gracia
- 2 2.1 uncountable/no numerable (refinement) refinamiento (masculine) 2.2 uncountable/no numerable (appearance of quality) acabado (masculine), terminación (feminine) the cheaper models lack the finish of the expensive ones los modelos más económicos no tienen el acabado de los caros 2.3 (surface texture) (no plural/sin plural) acabado (masculine) a matt/gloss finish un acabado mate/brillante with a rough finish sin pulir
finish off verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento 1.1 (complete) [task] terminar, acabar let me just finish off this letter déjame terminar or acabar esta carta 1.2 (exhaust) dejar agotado or [colloquial/familiar] hecho polvo 1.3 (consume) [food/bottle] terminar, acabar 1.1verb + object + adverb/verbo + complemento + adverbio (kill) matar, acabar con, liquidar [colloquial/familiar] that bout of flu nearly finished her off aquella gripe casi acaba con ella 1.2verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio (conclude) terminar, acabar, concluir* [formal] I'd like to finish off by saying that … quisiera terminar or [formal] concluir diciendo que …
finish outverb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento (American English/inglés norteamericano) completar
finish up verb + object + adverb, verb + adverb + object/verbo + complemento + adverbio, verbo + adverbio + complemento [dinner/food/paint] terminar finish up your carrots termina las zanahorias, cómete todas las zanahorias 1.1verb + adverb/verbo + adverbio (end up, find oneself) acabar we finished up in a village called Burfield acabamos en or fuimos a parar a un pueblo llamado Burfield I knew he'd finish up crying yo sabía que iba a terminar or acabar llorando
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...