- 1.1(candle/flame/TV picture)(needle on dial)his eyelids flickereda smile flickered across her faceparpadeóthe shadows flickered on the wallesbozó una sonrisalas sombras bailaban en la paredExample sentences
- Small dying flames flickered on his body, and he did nothing to remove them, as if the flames were merely a mirage.
- Nick's eyes burned, small flames flickering within his pupils.
- The flame flickered and then burnt fiercely, casting a warm yellow light over the small study.
also: flickering present participle(light)we watched the flickering shadows/flamesparpadeantemirábamos bailar las sombras/llamasExample sentences
- My eyelids flickered open and revealed Jack on a chair next to my bed.
- Saka's eyelids flickered, then popped open to reveal cerulean eyes with no pupils that Ayane could see.
- After several moments, Karae's eyelids flickered and opened a tiny bit.
- There were no bright lights flickering on and off giving you a headache.
- Without any warning, the lights flickered then turned on brightly.
- A bright light flickered from the other side of the window and firecrackers popped all over the room.
- uncountable and countable 1.1 (of flame)(of light)the flicker on the TV screentitileo (masculine)1.2 (of eyelids)el parpadeo de la imagen(of needle on dial)the flicker of a smile passed across her facewithout a flicker of recognitionesbozó una sonrisasin la más mínima señal de reconocerloExample sentences
Example sentences1.3 (faint sensation) See examples: a flicker of encouragement/life
- The bright flicker of the candles lit the room and colored their cheeks as they stood before the kingdom's legion of Royal advisors.
- Abruptly, the strange, unsteady flickers of light coalesced, solidifying as a small spark of flame grew within their depths.
- They stayed late beside its glow, a flicker of light barely visible to us through the trees.
a flicker of hopeuna chispa de aliento/vida
- He caught a flicker of movement off to his right and vaguely heard the soft sounds of a small stream.
- She thought she caught a flicker of movement out of the corner of her eye and turned to peer intently that way.
- She kept low and watched the wagons disappear, but a flicker of movement caught her eye and she turned her head in time to see a red spider logo on the back of a jacket.
- (Zoology)carpintero (masculine) doradoExample sentences
- Woodpeckers, flickers, chickadees and nuthatches are among the many species that benefit from it.
- Unlike most woodpeckers, flickers spend a lot of time on the ground probing for ants.
- The preserve, wild with birdsong, was thick with robins, flickers, grackles, blackbirds, catbirds, and doves.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Today is Aberri Eguna, Basque national day, and a public holiday in the Basque country of Spain.