Translation of float in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (on water) oil floats on waterel aceite flota en el aguadebris had floated up (to the surface) from the wreckhabían salido a flote restos del naufragiothe logs floated downstreamlos maderos bajaban flotando por el ríohe taught me to float (on my back)me enseñó a hacer la planchathe canoe floated away on the tidela marea se llevó la canoaExample sentences1.2
(cloud/smoke)a feather floated past on the breeze
- After floating near the surface for a few days, the raft sinks to the sea floor and the eggs hatch far away from their parents.
- In nature, mussels start life as microscopic larvae floating near the surface of the sea.
- The weed does not stick to the bottom; it floats on the surface and moves with the direction of the wind.
flotar en el aireuna pluma pasó flotando en la brisaExample sentences1.3 (move lightly)
(idea/image)I felt I was floating on air
- Usually it was the clouds floating slowly past the window that would catch my eye.
- She watched as the white clouds slowly floated by in the sky and gave a sigh.
- David ignored him and busied himself with the clouds floating slowly by.
vagarme sentí en el séptimo cielo or (como flotando) en las nubesExample sentences
- A rumor is floating about that the businessman is getting ready to waste millions again in a futile attempt to become governor, but that's relevant only to the coyotes who will take his money.
- ‘It is an idea that is floating about at the moment, but I wouldn't put it any stronger than that,’ he added.
- A couple of hot rumors have been floating about involving Golden State.
- 2 (Finance)(currency)
- He will need to muster all his not inconsiderable sales skills to help float the company at a time when stock markets are in the doldrums.
- The company was floated on the Nasdaq stock market in November 1997.
- A central part of the reform process was to privatize many of the nationalized industries through floating the companies on the stock market.
- It's not even clear if floating China's currency would result in a stronger yuan.
- Indeed, if the currency were floated, it might well decline as Chinese convert their domestic currency holdings into dollars.
- Uruguay floated its currency late last month following a run on banks and a plunge in foreign reserves.
- 1 1.1(ship/boat)
poner or sacar a floteExample sentences1.2 the waves floated the seaweed ashore
las olas llevaron or arrastraron las algas hasta la orilla
- Topping up casks of wine is essential in order to stop the wine turning into vinegar; alternatively, a layer of olive oil can be floated on the surface of the wine.
- The metal's surface tension is great enough to permit a steel needle to be floated on its surface.
- This introduces a lot of fine air bubbles into the effluent, floating the algal matter to the surface to be skimmed off.
- 2 (Finance) 2.1 (establish)to float a companyintroducir una compañía en Bolsaa week after the company had been floated …
lanzar una compañía a Bolsauna semana después de que la compañía se cotizara por primera vez en bolsa …2.2 (offer for sale)
una semana después de que la compañía fuera lanzada a bolsa …(shares/stock/bonds)2.3 (allow to fluctuate)
- 3 (circulate)(rumor)
hacer correr(idea/proposal)a figure of $3m was floated
presentarse sugirió una cifra de 3 millones de dólaresExample sentences
- A similar idea was floated in March this year by Southampton Test MP Alan Whitehead following an energy summit held in the city last year.
- He floated the idea of raising the amount of money taxpayers must earn before they're subjected to the top marginal tax rate.
- The BBC report is amusing, because it floats the idea that maybe people should be charged for the bandwidth they use - hey, maybe metered internet time could be the future?
- 1 1.1 (for fishing)Example sentences
Example sentences1.2 (in cistern, carburetor)
- Eventually the many rings were threaded, the float attached, shotted and the hook tied on.
- Personally, I get a lot of satisfaction out of making my own floats and catching fish using them.
- Once the hard work is done it's easy to fish to a baited area from the bank or to sit in the boat and fish it with a float.
Example sentences1.3 (raft, platform)
- These weights have a hole or holes bored into them and help, with the aid of buoyant floats, keep the net vertical in the water and fished as a gill or seine net.
- They use beam and otter trawls or fine filament nylon driftnets, a form of gear used in the open ocean, suspended in the water by floats like a curtain.
- Through an elaborate maze of nets suspended by floats, fish are channelled into captivity.
Example sentences1.4 (for buoyancy)
- The most common type of bilge pump switch uses a pivoted float to sense water level.
- I described the symptoms, and Arv said it could possibly be a blocked exhaust stock or a stuck carburetor float.
- Mount the float valve in your reservoir of water at about the level you want the water (the float is adjustable so placement doesn't have to be perfect).
- The sun also came out as the procession of floats wound its way to the carnival field and then paraded through the town on Saturday.
- There will be 40 floats in tomorrow's procession, accompanied by marching bands, majorettes and cheerleaders.
- A colourful procession of floats through the town was the beginning of a weekend's fun at Dartford's annual festival.
- 2 2.1 (in parade) 2.2also: milk float(British)furgoneta (feminine) (del reparto de leche)
- 3 (ready cash)(Business, Finance)(to provide change) a float of £20
fondo (masculine) fijo20 libras en cambio or en monedasExample sentences
- But as he returned to the taxi, he saw a man trying to steal money from the cash float.
- When the driver got out to adjust it, the group stole his till float containing £25 and slammed his hand in the driver's cab door.
- Police are considering robbery as a possible motive because a float of hundreds of pounds was missing.
- 5 (for plastering)Example sentences
- I climbed the ladder with my float, trowel and plaster and reached upwards towards the missing section of my ceiling.
- Cover the tiles with grout using a rubber-bottom float or a sponge and wipe on a diagonal.
- Among the simplest is a somewhat rough but uniform surface achieved by tooling the finish coat with a sponge float or brush.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.