- 1 1.1 (close acquaintance)a friend of ours/my father('s)/the familyamigo, (-ga) (masculine, feminine)she's no friend of mineun amigo nuestro/de mi padre/de la familiahe felt he was among friendsamiga mía no esthey're staying with friendsse sentía entre amigosher many friendsestán en casa de unos amigosthey've been friends for yearssus muchas amistadessus muchos amigosthey're very close friendshace años que son amigosthey're the best of friends againson íntimos amigosI'm not friends with you any more! (said by children)están de lo más amigos otra vezhe doesn't make friends easilyya no juego or no me junto más contigohe soon made friends with her/the other boysle cuesta hacer amigosthey shook hands and made friendsen poco tiempo se hizo amigo suyo/de los otros niñosto make a friend of somebodyse dieron la mano e hicieron las paceswe're just good friendsganarse la amistad de alguienwith friends like that, who needs enemies? (set phrase)solo somos amigosthat's what friends are for any friend of yours is a friend of minecon amigos así ¿quién necesita enemigos?who goes there: friend or foe? the dog is man's best friend my (right) honourable friend (British English)tus amigos son mis amigosfriend with benefits [colloquial]mi respetable colegaa friend in need is a friend indeedamigo con ventajaamigo con roce[colloquial]en las malas se conoce a los amigosExample sentences1.2 (supporter)
the Friends of Kingston Hospitalamigo, (-ga) (masculine, feminine)la Asociación de Amigos del Hospital de KingstonExample sentences1.3 (lover) [euphemistic]
- This recipe comes from a close friend of mine with whom I worked when I was living in London.
- Make an effort to cultivate effective relationships with family, friends and colleagues
- He will be remembered with much affection by his family and close friends.
amigo, (-ga) (masculine, feminine) [euphemistic]
- But it might not now happen for another year, a member of Friends of East Park fears.
- The Friends of St Mary's Church was set up in 1998 to raise money to maintain the church.
- Part of the funds raised by the sale of the book will be donated to the Friends of St Peter's Church.
- 2 (Religion)also: Friendthe Society of Friendscuáquero, (-ra) (masculine, feminine)la Sociedad de los AmigosExample sentences
- At the Society of Friends, he would put his arm around newcomers and encourage them into the group.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.