- 1 1.1 (close acquaintance) amigo, -ga (m,f) a friend of ours/my father('s)/the family un amigo nuestro/de mi padre/de la familia she's no friend of mine amiga mía no es he felt he was among friends se sentía entre amigos they're staying with friends están en casa de unos amigos her many friends sus muchas amistades, sus muchos amigos they've been friends for years hace años que son amigos they're very close friends son íntimos amigos they're the best of friends again están de lo más amigos otra vez I'm not friends with you any more! (said by children) ya no juego or no me junto más contigo he doesn't make friends easily le cuesta hacer amigos he soon made friends with her/the other boys en poco tiempo se hizo amigo suyo/de los otros niños they shook hands and made friends se dieron la mano e hicieron las paces to make a friend of sb ganarse la amistad de algn we're just good friends solo somos amigos with friends like that, who needs enemies? [set phrase] con amigos así ¿quién necesita enemigos? [frase hecha/set phrase] that's what friends are for para eso están los amigos any friend of yours is a friend of mine tus amigos son mis amigos who goes there: friend or foe? ¿quién vive? the dog is man's best friend [set phrase] el perro es el mejor amigo del hombre [frase hecha/set phrase] my (right) honourable friend (BrE) mi respetable colega friend with benefits [colloquial/familiar] amigo con ventaja, amigo con roce [familiar/colloquial] a friend in need is a friend indeed en las malas se conoce a los amigosMore example sentences1.2 (supporter) amigo, -ga (m,f) the Friends of Kingston Hospital la Asociación de Amigos del Hospital de Kingston
More example sentences1.3 (lover) [euphemism/eufemismo] amigo, -ga (m,f) [eufemismo/euphemism]
- This recipe comes from a close friend of mine with whom I worked when I was living in London.
- Make an effort to cultivate effective relationships with family, friends and colleagues
- He will be remembered with much affection by his family and close friends.
- But it might not now happen for another year, a member of Friends of East Park fears.
- The Friends of St Mary's Church was set up in 1998 to raise money to maintain the church.
- Part of the funds raised by the sale of the book will be donated to the Friends of St Peter's Church.
- 2 [Relig](Friend)cuáquero, -ra (m,f) the Society of Friends la Sociedad de los AmigosMore example sentences
- At the Society of Friends, he would put his arm around newcomers and encourage them into the group.
The RAE (Real Academia de la Lengua Española) is a body established in the eighteenth century to record and preserve the Spanish language. It is made up of académicos, who are normally well-known literary figures and/or academic experts on the Spanish language. The RAE publishes the Diccionario de la Real Academia Española, which is regarded as an authority on correct Spanish. Affiliated academies exist in Latin American countries.