Translation of gadfly in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -flies)
- 1.1 [Zoology/Zoología] tábano (masculine)Example sentences1.2 (person) criticón, (masculine, feminine) [colloquial/familiar]
- Later, Hera sent the notorious gadfly to continuously bite and irritate Io.
- She was tormented by a furious little gadfly that bit her mercilessly, though she flicked her tail this way and that.
- Zeus had once tried to seduce the lovely Io, but Hera, his jealous wife, had discovered her husband's intentions and turned poor Io into a cow, left to wander about the earth, constantly pursued and tormented by a pestilent gadfly.
- But he admits he is curious: what has the liberal gadfly done to annoy so many conservatives like him?
- The gadfly soon became an annoyance to both the MTA and the union, creating a newsletter which aired workers' grievances but criticised alleged union inaction.
- I have always considered him sort of a Socratic gadfly.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The name of Spain's state-run post office is correos. Stamps can be bought in an