- 1 (bitterness) [literary] the bitter gall of defeatshe writes with a pen dipped in gallla amarga hiel de la derrota [literary]lo que escribe destila hiel [literary]Example sentences
- It's always a bit crushing when you lose something that was yours but there is a special bitter gall when that thing is logging your progress in a 10,000 a day stepathon.
- How quickly I fall back to my evil ways when I force You to drink the bitter gall of mankind's sin - instead of refreshing water that will temporarily soothe Your thirsty and battered body.
- Learning that his quarry had given him a slip a glowering devil seemed to rage within the king's heart, raising dark and savage gall.
- 2 (Physiology) [archaic]Example sentences
- In central Ontario, eight species of parasitoids and a Periclistus inquiline are associated with this gall.
- And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull, They gave Him Vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when He had tasted thereof, He would not drink.
- The result of Raychel's beating is directly carried over to the Roman soldier forcing Jesus to drink gall.
- They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
- Whoever killed Russell's bears was not out poaching gall, Pavel believed.
- Dried and sold as an aphrodisiac and cure-all in Asia, Russia, and North America, bear gall has long been treasure for poachers.
- uncountable (effrontery) [colloquial]to have the gall to +
infinitivetener el descaro or la desfachatez de+ infinitive[colloquial]Example sentences
- I can't believe we have such ungrateful whiners in this place that have the hide and gall to call themselves Aussies.
- I have been in politics a while - not long enough, obviously - but I have been in politics a while and I have seen some examples of impertinence, cheek, and gall, but that last speech beats them all.
- What a hat full of horsefeathers; what a hoary hunk of chutzpah; what a grotesque, galloping glob of gall this guy is!
- what galls me is the way he never arrives on timedarle rabia alo que me irrita or me da rabia es que nunca llega a la horaExample sentences
- It galls me that some people are trying to take full credit for the new hospital now.
- Yes indeed, and clearly that's galling the people who are holding those three Italian hostages, originally four.
- What is galling most people about the situation is that it was instigated by our own Minister who seems to be blaming everyone from his own Fisheries Officers, Europe and fishermen's so called lack of flexibility.
- (Botany)Example sentences
- In early spring, these aphids form pouch-shaped galls on the hybrids' leaves; living and breeding within the galls, the insects feed on the trees' nutritious sap stream.
- Herbivorous attack was estimated by the number of attacked leaves and percentage of leaf area damaged, while gall-forming insect attacks were estimated from the number of leaves with galls and number of galls per individual plant.
- The midge is an ephemeral 2-3 mm insect whose larva induces a gall on young unfurled S. viminalis leaves.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.