Translation of gate in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (to garden) 1.2 (to castle, city) (usually plural) the Pearly Gates [liter or hum]las puertas del paraíso1.3 (controlling admission) 1.4 (at airport)Example sentences1.5 (of lock, sluice)
- The small group stood together at the departure gate at Sheridan Airport.
- The group searched four airport departure gates and, after they could not find the man, returned to the checkpoint to retest the machine.
- The flight was cancelled and the aircraft returned to the gate.
- 2also: starting gate(in horse racing)cajón (masculine) de salida(in ski competitions)
puerta (feminine) de salidaExample sentences
- Andrew drove up to the front gate; the gate was closed, but there was a check-in station.
- The gunmen in all cases were greeted with hospitality and obeyed requests from the owners to close gates, not break fences or frighten animals.
- Many walls, fences and gates have to be clambered over.
- 3 3.1 (attendance) 3.2gate (money)Example sentences
- By the very nature of their popularity, certain people can act as role models for the young, lend their good name to charity or simply add thousands to the gate of a sporting event.
- They are currently lying seventh in the crowd table with an average gate of 8,662.
- One, a bigger gate means greater admissions and therefore a greater return on the money.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.