Translation of gate in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (to garden) verja (feminine), cancela (feminine) (Spain/España) , portón (masculine) (Southern Cone/Cono Sur) ; (to field) portón (masculine), tranquera (feminine) (Latin America/América Latina) 1.2 (to castle, city) (usually plural/generalmente en plural) puerta (feminine), portal (masculine) the Pearly Gates [liter or hum] las puertas del paraíso 1.3 (controlling admission) entrada (feminine) 1.4 (at airport) puerta (feminine) (de embarque)Example sentences1.5 (of lock, sluice) compuerta (feminine)
- The small group stood together at the departure gate at Sheridan Airport.
- The group searched four airport departure gates and, after they could not find the man, returned to the checkpoint to retest the machine.
- The flight was cancelled and the aircraft returned to the gate.
- 2(starting gate)(in horse racing) cajón (masculine) de salida; (in ski competitions) puerta (feminine) de salidaExample sentences
- Andrew drove up to the front gate; the gate was closed, but there was a check-in station.
- The gunmen in all cases were greeted with hospitality and obeyed requests from the owners to close gates, not break fences or frighten animals.
- Many walls, fences and gates have to be clambered over.
- 3 3.1 (attendance) público (masculine), concurrencia (feminine), entrada (feminine) (Spain/España) 3.2gate (money) recaudación (feminine), taquilla (feminine)Example sentences
- By the very nature of their popularity, certain people can act as role models for the young, lend their good name to charity or simply add thousands to the gate of a sporting event.
- They are currently lying seventh in the crowd table with an average gate of 8,662.
- One, a bigger gate means greater admissions and therefore a greater return on the money.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to