Translation of glad in Spanish:
- 1.1 (happy, pleased) (predicative) to be glad (
aboutsomething)alegrarseoh good, I'm so glad dealgo¡qué bien! ¡cuánto me alegro!to be glad ( that)alegrarseI'm glad you like it de quefollowed by subjunctiveme alegro de que te gusteI'm glad you've told meme alegro de que me lo hayas dichoto be glad to + infinitiveI'm so glad to meet youencantado de conocerla/conocerlowould you give me a hand? — glad to
mucho gusto¿me daría una mano? — con mucho gustoI'm only too glad to helpes un placer poder ser útilyou'll be glad to hear that …te alegrará saber que …1.2 (grateful) (predicative) to be glad
ofsomething (British English) I'd be very glad of your helpagradecería mucho tu ayudaI was glad of his adviceagradecí que me hubiera aconsejadoExample sentences1.3 (showing happiness) (before noun)
- The two intrepid cyclists would be very glad of sponsorship.
- There's a snowball fight in the street out front, and I'm very glad of my flasks of soup.
- He gathered his cloak about him and settled himself on the sheepskin that padded the saddle, and was very glad of that, too.
de alegría or felicidadExample sentences
Example sentences1.4 (causing happiness) [literary] (before noun) glad tidings [archaic or hum]
- Working with such great folks, from our authors to the other editors to all the readers, is a true pleasure and I'm glad to have been given the opportunity.
- He was glad to hear complains about the perfect Sabina.
- I am so glad people are finding pleasure from what I have accomplished.
buenas nuevas (feminine plural) [literary]
- But when he returned to his room to give his other half the glad tidings, the housekeeper, who was listening to the story, interrupted to tell them that she knew of plenty of empty rooms.
- In other news, I went back to work for a few hours, sharing the glad tidings with my coworkers in such detail that one of my students asked me if someone had had a baby.
- About mid-morning the London agent handling the new flat woke up and gave us the glad tidings that the rental will be available from tomorrow afternoon.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.