adj (-er, -est)
- 1 [coat/car/paint/eyes/salad] verde he was green with envy se moría de envidia Paris is a very green city París es una ciudad muy verde green spaces zonas (fpl) or espacios (mpl) verdes green vegetables verdura(s) (feminine (plural)) de hoja the green stuff [slang/argot] lana (feminine) (Latin America/América Latina) [colloquial/familiar], plata (feminine) (South America/América del Sur) [colloquial/familiar], pasta (feminine) (Spain/España) [colloquial/familiar] to have a green thumb o (British English/inglés británico) green fingers tener* mano para las plantas
The deck of cards used in Spain is called the baraja francesa. The four suits are oros, copas, espadas, and bastos, corresponding to diamonds, hearts, spades, and clubs. Each suit has nine numbered cards and three face cards - jack (sota), knight, and king. There is no queen.
- 1 uncountable/no numerable (color) verde (masculine) the lights were at green el semáforo estaba (en) verde there are large areas of green in the city en la ciudad hay amplias zonas verdesMore example sentences
- Route 2 buses branded in green will operate on a loop connecting Victoria, Oxford Road and Deansgate rail stations.
- The colour green is supposed to be the most relaxing on the eye and nerves.
- This year, though, expect to see red mixed with colours other than traditional green.
- 2 countable/numerable 2.1 (in village, town) prado (masculine) comunal 2.2(putting green)green (masculine)More example sentences
- I am told the garden of my house used to be part of the village green.
- High Ellington is a pleasant little village with a green.
- The arts and crafts exhibition was held in the village hall, while refreshments were served in a marquee on the village green.
- 3(greens plural)(vegetables) verdura (feminine) (de hoja verde) eat your greens cómete la verduraMore example sentences
- First, there's salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, cabbage, carrot and cauliflower in a creamy but pungent dressing.
- Apparently one in five of our supposedly health obsessed, eco friendly and vegetarian teenagers eat no greens at all.
- Most of the herbs and salad greens are grown in the hotel garden, and there is always at least one vegetarian option available.